Has Anyone Ever Owned/Played DVD9s?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, DVDs come in two common types - DVD5s and DVD9s, with the latter being less common. There have been conflicting answers online about whether a DVD9 foreign language film would be playable on a regular DVD player. Some sources say it can always be played, while others suggest using a computer drive. It is recommended to check the specifications of the DVD player to see if it can handle dual layer DVDs, and also consider region encoding, as different regions may have different compatibility.
kyphysics
Most DVDs are DVD5s. Some - less common are DVD9s.

I'm thinking of buying foreign language film that is a DVD9, but am not sure if it'd play on a normal DVD player.

I've seen conflicting answers online. Some say they can always be played on regular DVD players, while others say you have to put in in our computer drive to play it...

Figured people here were more reputable and I could get a closer-to-truth answer. Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
The difference is in the number of layers on the DVD. Single layer is lower cost, used by DVD-5, while double layer is used by DVD-9.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Capacity

I expect if your drive can handle DVD-2 or 3 it should be able to read DVD-9.
But there is always the question of how old is your DVD player, and what formats does it support. Look up the player specifications on the web.

Likes kyphysics
I thought that dual layer DVDs were part of the format from the start and everything was required to play them. My PS2 had no problems with Dual layer DVD+R that held 8.5 GB

Perhaps you are thinking of region encoding? That is a different subject entirely. The US is region 1 and Japan is 2, I think? Region 5 would be Africa.

1. Can anyone own or play DVD9s?

Yes, anyone can own or play DVD9s as long as they have a compatible DVD player.

2. What is a DVD9?

A DVD9 is a type of DVD that can hold up to 9.4 GB of data, making it suitable for storing high-definition video and audio.

3. How do DVD9s differ from other types of DVDs?

DVD9s differ from other types of DVDs, such as DVD5s, in terms of storage capacity. DVD9s can hold more data, making them ideal for high-quality video and audio content.

4. Are DVD9s still relevant in today's digital age?

Yes, DVD9s are still relevant as they are commonly used for storing and playing high-definition movies and TV shows. They are also used for video game discs and other large data files.

5. Can I convert a DVD9 to a different format?

Yes, it is possible to convert a DVD9 to a different format, such as MP4 or AVI, using specialized software. However, keep in mind that this may result in a loss of video or audio quality.