Related rates

by rdougie
Tags: rates
Share this thread:
rdougie
Oct1-07, 10:24 PM
P: 6
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
"On a certain clock the minute had is 4in long, and the hour hand is 3in long. How fast is the distance between the tips of the hands changing at 9 o'clock?"

2. Relevant equations
- a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] = c[tex]^{2}[/tex]
- Law of Cosines?

3. The attempt at a solution
Ok i drew a clock, and the 3-4-5 triangle positioned at 9:00. The distance between the 2 tips is 5in, but how would I find the rate of change between them? If the distance is marked by x, then I'm solving for dx/d[tex]\Theta[/tex], right? For every 6 degrees the minute hand moves, the hour hand moves one. I'm thoroughly confused........
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
EnumaElish
Oct2-07, 09:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,482
I would think of this as two concentric circles with radii R and r (R > r). The inner circle is stationary, but the outer circle is rotating. At t = 0 two points (one on each circle) lie on a straight line through the origin so their distance is d = R - r. At t = [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the outer circle has rotated some, so the distance between the two points has increased. Find (d([itex]\epsilon[/itex]) - d(0))/[itex]\epsilon[/itex] as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] --> 0.
hotvette
Oct3-07, 12:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 925
Welcome to PF!

What I would do is the following. There are two lines of different lengths (r and R) rotating about a common origin at different frequencies. If the tips of the lines are points a and b, I'd write equations that represent the x,y locations of a and b (with respect to t) using initial conditions such that the postions of the lines are at 9:00 at t=0. I'd then write an expression for the distance between points a and b, take the derivative and evaluate it at t=0. Chain rule involved.

HallsofIvy
Oct3-07, 06:28 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
Related rates

In general, the angle formed by the hands is not a right angle (it happens to be at 9:00 but not immediately after). Your second thought was correct: you can use the cosine law to write the distance between the tips of the hands as a function of the angle between them.
D H
Oct3-07, 07:10 AM
Mentor
P: 15,067
Why is the chain rule needed here? Defining [itex]\hat x[/itex] as the 12:00 position, [itex]\hat y[/itex] as the 3:00 position, and [itex]\theta_m[/itex] as the angle between the 12:00 position and the minute hand measured clockwise, then the tip minute hand is at

[tex]\vec m = 5\text{in}(\cos \theta_m \hat x + \sin \theta_m \hat y)[/tex]

The minute hand makes one revolution per hour. Thus [itex]\dot \theta_m = 2\pi/\text{hr}[/tex]. Differentiating the expression for [itex]\vec m[/itex],

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\vec m = 10\pi\text{in}/\text{hr}(-\sin \theta_m \hat x + \cos \theta_m \hat y)[/tex]

You can treat the hour hand similarly. Taking the difference between these two velocity vectors yields the tip-to-tip velocity. Apply the specific values for [itex]\theta_m[/itex] and [itex]\theta_h[/itex], take the magnitude, and voila, you have the distance rate of change.

The above is not correct. Correction is imminent.
D H
Oct3-07, 07:31 AM
Mentor
P: 15,067
I should know better. The magnitude of a velocity vector does not equal to the time derivative of the magnitude underlying displacement vector.

Suppose [itex]\vec d[/itex] is some displacement vector (e.g., the vector from the end of the hour hand to the end of the minute hand). Denote [itex]d=||\vec d||[/itex] as the magnitude of this displacement vector. For an inner product metric space,

[tex]d^2 \equiv \vec d \cdot \vec d[/itex]

Differentiating with respect to time,

[tex]2d\dot d = 2\vec d \cdot \dot {\vec d}[/itex]

Solving for the time derivative of the magnitude of the displacement vector,

[tex]\dot d = \frac{\vec d \cdot \dot {\vec d}}{d}[/itex]

The magnitude of the velocity vector, [tex]\sqrt{\dot {\vec d} \cdot \dot {\vec d}}[/tex] is obviously not the same as the time derivative of the magnitude of the displacement vector.

Register to reply