Related rates (prism with a trapezoid base)

In summary, the given problem involves a trough with a length of 10m and a cross-section in the shape of an isosceles trapezoid with a bottom width of 30cm, top width of 80cm, and height of 50cm. The trough is being filled with water at a rate of 0.2m3/min. To find the rate of change of the water level when it is 30cm deep, we need to write the volume of the water in terms of the height (h). Using similar trapezoids, we can derive the expression v = 500h(110-h) and find the derivative to determine the rate of change.
starstruck_

Homework Statement

A trough is 10 m long and a cross-section has the shape of an isosceles trapezoid that is 30 cm wide at the bottom, 80 cm wide at the top, and has a height of 50 cm. If the trough is being filled with water at the rate of 0.2m3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 30 cm deep?

I feel like I'm missing a connection or a relation between what I'm given here, or just don't know how to proceed with this problem.

Homework Equations

volume = (a+b)/2*h

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew out an image and uh this about as far as I got with this :(
upload_2017-12-11_20-35-56.png

(I hope you can see that, not sure if it worked)

I am not sure what my next step should be. So, I know that the top of the trapezoid will change, the height of the trapezoid that I'm finding the derivative for is 30, and the top of the trapezoid changes as the water level rises, I also know that the bottom stays the same and is 25 cm smaller than the top from both sides. Not sure what my next step should be or what connection I'm missing.

**The number at the very top is an 80!EDIT: I think I just found another connection - I have similar triangles. There's a large one with a height of 50 and base of 25, and a small one with a base of x and height of 30? Right?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_20-35-56.png
    upload_2017-12-11_20-35-56.png
    3 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the brown represents the water, label the depth of the water ##h## instead of ##30##. You don't put the ##30## in until the end. Your next step should be to write the volume of the water in terms of just ##h##. Come back when you have done that.

LCKurtz said:
Assuming the brown represents the water, label the depth of the water ##h## instead of ##30##. You don't put the ##30## in until the end. Your next step should be to write the volume of the water in terms of just ##h##. Come back when you have done that.
the volume of the water in terms of h would be
v= (top+bottom)/2*h*l
v= 1000(top+bottom)/2*h
v= 500(top+bottom)*h

do I use the similar triangles to help me calculate the measurement for the bottom and find the derivative for my expression of the volume? (hoping what I wrote and my similar triangles are correct)

Last edited:
starstruck_ said:
the volume of the water in terms of h would be
v= (top+bottom)/2*h*l
v= 1000(top+bottom)/2*h
v= 500(top+bottom)*h

do I use the similar triangles to help me calculate the measurement for the bottom and find the derivative for my expression of the volume? (hoping what I wrote and my similar triangles are correct)

I would use similar trapezoids not similar triangles. But you need to explain where the ##1000## comes from (never mind, I just noticed the different units) and put in the values for top and bottom. You want ##v = f(h)## and remember, ##v## is the volume of the water, which varies with ##h##.
(Edited).

Last edited:

1. What is a prism with a trapezoid base?

A prism with a trapezoid base is a three-dimensional shape with a trapezoid as its base and identical polygonal faces on the top and bottom. It is a type of prism, which is a solid figure with two parallel and congruent polygonal bases connected by rectangular faces.

2. What is a related rate in the context of a prism with a trapezoid base?

In the context of a prism with a trapezoid base, related rate refers to the change in one variable (such as the height or volume) as another variable (such as the length or angle) changes. This relationship is important in solving problems involving the rates of change for different dimensions of the prism.

3. How are related rates used in solving problems involving a prism with a trapezoid base?

Related rates are used to find the rate of change of one dimension of the prism as another dimension changes. This is done by using the formula for the volume of a prism, V = Bh, and differentiating it with respect to the changing variable. The resulting equation can then be solved for the rate of change.

4. What are some common applications of related rates for a prism with a trapezoid base?

Related rates for a prism with a trapezoid base can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the rate at which the volume of a water tank changes as the water level changes, or determining the rate at which the area of a trapezoidal-shaped field changes as the length of one of its sides changes.

5. Are there any tips for solving problems involving related rates for a prism with a trapezoid base?

When solving problems involving related rates for a prism with a trapezoid base, it is important to clearly identify all relevant variables and their rates of change. Drawing a diagram and labeling the dimensions can also be helpful. Additionally, using the appropriate formula and differentiating it with respect to the changing variable will lead to the correct solution.