Related rates - finding hypotenuse of triangle

In summary, when the plane is 4 mi away from the radar station, its distance from the radar station is increasing at a rate of 317 miles per hour.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

A plane flying horizontally at an altitude of 3 mi and a speed of 480 mi/h passes directly over a radar station. Find the rate at which the distance from the plane to the station is increasing when it is 4 mi away from the station. (Round your answer to the nearest whole number.)

Homework Equations

##a^2=b^2+c^2## where ##a## is the hypotenuse of a triangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by relating the given variables as follows
  • Altitude is a constant of 3 mi
  • Horizontal distance of the plane will be ##x##. We measure when ##x=4## miles.
  • Distance from the plane to the radar station will be ##y##. We measure when ##y^2=4^2+3^2 \longrightarrow y=5## miles.
  • Change in horizontal distance will be ##\frac{dx}{dt}## We are given that this is 480 miles/hour.
We have ##y^2=x^2+3^2##. Taking the derivative with respect to time gives ##2y\times\frac{dy}{dt}=2x\times\frac{dx}{dt}+0##. Substituting in known values gives: ##2(5)\times\frac{dy}{dt}=2(4)(480) \longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{4\times480}{5}=384##. Yet this is not the answer.

Where am I going wrong? I've actually drawn out the triangle and variables, and I'm fairly stuck as to which part I'm messing up. Any insight will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did "4 mi away from the station" become only the horizontal component of how far the plane is away from the station?

phinds said:
How did "4 mi away from the station" become only the horizontal component of how far the plane is away from the station?
Looks like I totally misread the question. I thought that the problem statement stated 4 to be the distance traveled in the x direction, not the distance between the plane and the station. That's cleared everything up.

Using the above information, the value for ##x## is ##\sqrt{4^2-3^2}=\sqrt{7}##. Plugging the correct values into my above derivative gives the correct answer to this problem: ##2(4)\times\frac{dy}{dt}=2(\sqrt{7})(480)\longrightarrow\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\sqrt{7}\times480}{4}\approx317##.

Thanks for pointing that out!

1. How do you find the hypotenuse of a triangle using related rates?

To find the hypotenuse of a triangle using related rates, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You also need to know the rates of change of the other two sides and use the chain rule to differentiate the equation.

2. What are the steps to solving a related rates problem involving the hypotenuse of a triangle?

The steps to solving a related rates problem involving the hypotenuse of a triangle are as follows:
1. Draw a diagram and label all known and unknown variables.
2. Write out the equation that relates the variables.
3. Differentiate the equation with respect to time using the chain rule.
4. Substitute in the known values and solve for the unknown rate of change.
5. Check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. Can you give an example of a related rates problem involving the hypotenuse of a triangle?

Sure, for example, if the height of a ladder leaning against a wall is increasing at a rate of 2 feet per second and the base of the ladder is 5 feet away from the wall, how fast is the hypotenuse (length of the ladder) changing when the height is 12 feet?

In this problem, the known variables are the rate of change of the height (2 ft/s), the length of the base (5 ft), and the height of the ladder (12 ft). The unknown rate of change is the length of the hypotenuse (ladder). By using the Pythagorean theorem and the steps outlined in question 2, we can solve for the unknown rate of change and determine that the ladder is increasing at a rate of approximately 2.2 ft/s.

4. What are some real-life applications of using related rates to find the hypotenuse of a triangle?

Related rates involving the hypotenuse of a triangle can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of the sides of a building under construction, the speed of a car moving in a curved path, or the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle. Essentially, any situation where the change of one variable affects the change of another variable can involve related rates and the use of the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Why is it important to understand related rates and how to find the hypotenuse of a triangle?

Understanding related rates and how to find the hypotenuse of a triangle allows us to solve a wide range of problems in different fields. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as we need to analyze the given information, draw a diagram, and use mathematical concepts to find a solution. Additionally, related rates can help us understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other, which is essential in many real-life scenarios.