Astronomy - Latitude and Longitude problem

In summary, the airliner flies from London Heathrow to Tokyo Narita, taking a great circle route. Part a) found the distance flown to be 5161 nautical miles, and part b) found the direction the pilot set out from Heathrow to be 31.6^{o} degrees bearing E of N. Part c) found the most northerly location reached on the great circle route to be latitude 70.95^{o} degrees.
Pomico

Homework Statement

An airliner flies from London Heathrow (latitude 51[tex]^{o}[/tex]30' N, longitude 0[tex]^{o}[/tex] 10' W) to Tokyo Narita (latitude 35[tex]^{o}[/tex] 40' N, longitude 139[tex]^{o}[/tex] 45' E). Assuming that the Earth is spherical and the aeroplane takes a great circle route,

a)what is the total distance flown in nautical miles
b)in what direction (bearing E of N) does the pilot set out from Heathrow
c)what is the most northerly location (latitude and longitude) that the plane reaches on its great circle route?

Homework Equations

sinA/sina = sinB/sinb = sinC/sinc
cosa=cosb.cosc+sinb.sinc.cosA

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed parts a) and b) and have found the answers to be 5161 nautical miles and 31.6[tex]^{o}[/tex] respectively.

For part c I have found the latitude to be 70.95[tex]^{o}[/tex] but can't think how to find the longitude as the spherical triangle I have drawn doesn't have enough information and I don't know how to go about finding what I need in order to get the answer.
I have attached a copy of my spherical triangle but it's rather small, my artistic skills are rather limited using a laptop with no mouse...
On my diagram point N is the North Pole, point H is Heathrow and point P is the most northerly point. All of the numerical values given are in degrees. I have another diagram including point T for Tokyo but have omitted this as I don't think it's necessary for the task. If it is please say, and I will upload it.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I forgot, on my diagram the distance d is the longitude of P plus the longitude of H.
I assumed I would go about the second part of the problem by finding d and subtracting the longitude of H as that is essentially what I did for the first part in finding the latitude of P.

Never mind, solved it now!

Consider posting your solution so that others can search the forums and find what you did.

1. What is the latitude and longitude problem in astronomy?

The latitude and longitude problem in astronomy refers to the challenge of accurately determining the coordinates of celestial objects in the sky. This is important for astronomers to accurately locate and track objects in space.

2. Why is it important to solve the latitude and longitude problem in astronomy?

It is important to solve the latitude and longitude problem in astronomy because it allows astronomers to accurately observe and study celestial objects. It also helps in navigation and understanding the movements of objects in space.

3. How is the latitude and longitude problem solved in astronomy?

The latitude and longitude problem is solved using a combination of mathematical calculations, celestial navigation techniques, and advanced technology such as telescopes and satellites. Astronomers also use reference points such as stars and constellations to determine the coordinates of objects in the sky.

4. What are the main challenges in solving the latitude and longitude problem in astronomy?

The main challenges in solving the latitude and longitude problem in astronomy include atmospheric distortion, the curvature of the Earth, and the constantly changing positions of celestial objects. Astronomers also have to account for the effects of time and the limitations of technology.

5. How does the latitude and longitude problem affect space exploration?

The accurate determination of coordinates is crucial for space exploration as it allows spacecraft to navigate and reach their intended destinations. The latitude and longitude problem also affects how we map and understand the universe, which is essential for planning and conducting future space missions.