Shortest Distance Between Two Latitude/Longitude Coordinates

In summary: These are called the "longitude" vectors, and they're measured in degrees. Now use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the vector between the two cities: ##s = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}## This is just a Pythagorean theorem problem, with the two vectors representing the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.Now you need to find the angle between the two vectors. To do that, you need to use the Law of Cosines. The cosine of an angle is just the sine of the opposite angle, so you just need to find the cosines of the two angles: ##cos(A) = -cos(B)cos(C)
transmini

Homework Statement

We need to find the shortest distance between two given cities. For this I'll use Bangkok, Thailand (13°N, 100°E) and Havana, Cuba (23°N, 82°W ). Earth is assumed to be perfectly spherical with a radius of 6.4x106m. These aren't the places we were given but the coordinates are similar.

Homework Equations

The only equations we have are
The Law of Sines: ##\frac{sin(a)}{sin(A)} = \frac{sin(b)}{sin(B)} = \frac{sin(c)}{sin(C)}##
The Law of Cosines for Sides: ##cos(c) = cos(a)cos(b) + sin(a)sin(b)cos(C)##
and
The Law of Cosines for Angles: ##cos(A) = -cos(B)cos(C) + sin(B)sin(C)cos(a)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not even sure how to start with this. I began by drawing a spherical triangle and labeling the points, with two points being the coordinates of the cities and the third being at (0°, 0°). Continuing from here is where I get lost seeing as how I know nothing about math with spherical triangles aside from the equations given above. Once I find the angular length of the great circle arc connecting the two cities, I know that I use the relation ##s = r\theta## where s is the arc length, but I have no idea how to find that side when I only have two coordinates and no side lengths or angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a physics problem, let alone an advanced physics problem. Moved to Pre-calculus math HW forum.

SteamKing said:
Not a physics problem, let alone an advanced physics problem. Moved to Pre-calculus math HW forum.
Oops, my bad. I received it for an astrophysics class and saw a similar post in that forum so I assumed that's where it would be. Thanks for the info though.

transmini said:

Homework Statement

We need to find the shortest distance between two given cities. For this I'll use Bangkok, Thailand (13°N, 100°E) and Havana, Cuba (23°N, 82°W ). Earth is assumed to be perfectly spherical with a radius of 6.4x106m. These aren't the places we were given but the coordinates are similar.

Homework Equations

The only equations we have are
The Law of Sines: ##\frac{sin(a)}{sin(A)} = \frac{sin(b)}{sin(B)} = \frac{sin(c)}{sin(C)}##
The Law of Cosines for Sides: ##cos(c) = cos(a)cos(b) + sin(a)sin(b)cos(C)##
and
The Law of Cosines for Angles: ##cos(A) = -cos(B)cos(C) + sin(B)sin(C)cos(a)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not even sure how to start with this. I began by drawing a spherical triangle and labeling the points, with two points being the coordinates of the cities and the third being at (0°, 0°). Continuing from here is where I get lost seeing as how I know nothing about math with spherical triangles aside from the equations given above. Once I find the angular length of the great circle arc connecting the two cities, I know that I use the relation ##s = r\theta## where s is the arc length, but I have no idea how to find that side when I only have two coordinates and no side lengths or angles.
There's plenty of information on the web about spherical trig and such.

This article may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance

Forget about spherical trig for a moment. Just look at it as a vector problem, and you're trying to find the angle between two vectors. Start by figuring out the unit vectors that point in the direction from the center of the Earth to each city.

What is the shortest distance between two latitude/longitude coordinates?

The shortest distance between two latitude/longitude coordinates is known as the great circle distance. This is the shortest distance between any two points on a sphere.

How is the shortest distance between two coordinates calculated?

The shortest distance between two coordinates can be calculated using the Haversine formula, which takes into account the curvature of the Earth. This formula uses the latitude and longitude values of the two points to determine the distance between them.

Is the shortest distance between two coordinates always a straight line?

No, the shortest distance between two coordinates is not always a straight line. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere, so the shortest distance between two points on its surface may not be a straight line. The great circle distance takes into account the curvature of the Earth and provides a more accurate measure of distance.

Can the shortest distance between two coordinates be negative?

No, the shortest distance between two coordinates cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of how far apart two points are, so it is always a positive value. If the two points are on opposite sides of the Earth, the shortest distance will be 180 degrees.

Does the shortest distance between two coordinates change based on the units of measurement used?

Yes, the shortest distance between two coordinates will change based on the units of measurement used. For example, using miles instead of kilometers will result in a different distance calculation. It is important to use consistent units when working with latitude and longitude coordinates.