Northernmost Point of a Route: Finding Distance and Latitude from North Pole

• Thread starter MrsTesla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: I used the formula for the distance between points in a spherical coordinate system: The distance between points P and Q in a spherical coordinate system is: d(r, θ) = (r^2 + θ^2) – (r*r + θ*θ)In summary, the distance between Helsinki and Seattle is 7640km, and the northermost point of the route is at latitude 60º and longitude 25ºE. The distance from the North Pole is 6370km.
MrsTesla

Homework Statement

Find the distance between Helsinki and Seattle along the shortest route. Where is the northermost point of the route, and what is its distance from the North Pole? The longitude of Helsinki is 25ºE and latitude 60º; the longitude of Seattle is 122ºW and latitude 48º. Assume the radius of the Earth is 6370km

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I already solved the first part of the problem (the distance), which is 7640km, using spherical trigonometry, but I have no idea how to solve the second part of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show how you solved the first part. It will help in judging what you have already done and give you better advice on how to continue.

This is what I did. The final result is correct according to the book, but I'm not sure I have all steps right.
I'm sorry if the quality of the image is not the best.

Attachments

• 19720266_2152129615013757_1308479224_o.jpg
    19720266_2152129615013757_1308479224_o.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 420
So let me ask you the following question: If you had a triangle in Euclidean space and wanted to find the closest distance from one of the sides to the opposite corner, what would you do?

I would draw a straight line perpendicular to the chosen side passing through the opposite corner. This would make a right triangle and from that, knowing the angles and sides, I would be able to calculate that distance.

So what stops you from doing that in spherical geometry?

Okay, I got it. I have no idea why I didn't think about that.
Thank you :smile:

Likes Orodruin
Would you mind posting your solution for the benefit of anyone who might come across this thread? Also, according to forum rules, posting alternative solutions is not allowed until the OP has shown that he/she has solved the problem.

Here's my solution to the problem.

Attachments

• 19243794_2152180351675350_681167688_o.jpg
    19243794_2152180351675350_681167688_o.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 448

1. What does "Northernmost point of a route" mean?

The northernmost point of a route refers to the farthest point north along a specific path or journey. It is typically used in navigation or travel planning.

2. How is the northernmost point of a route determined?

The northernmost point of a route is determined by using latitude and longitude coordinates. These coordinates can be found using a map, GPS device, or online mapping tool.

3. Why is the northernmost point of a route important?

The northernmost point of a route is important because it helps to identify the most extreme point on a journey or route. It can also be used to determine the distance between locations and to plan the most efficient travel route.

4. Can the northernmost point of a route change?

Yes, the northernmost point of a route can change depending on the route taken and any changes in the physical landscape. It can also change over time due to natural processes such as erosion or man-made changes such as construction.

5. What is the difference between the northernmost point of a route and the northernmost point of a country?

The northernmost point of a route refers to a specific point along a journey, while the northernmost point of a country refers to the most extreme point of a country's landmass. These two points may not necessarily be the same, as the northernmost point of a route may be located within a country but not at the very top of its landmass.