Register to reply

Formula for time to distance from stop

by jph
Tags: distance, formula, stop, time
Share this thread:
jph
Nov1-07, 06:39 PM
P: 3
Can someone please post the formula I need to use to determine the time it takes for a vehicle to start from a stopped position on a paved asphalt roadway (coef of approx .70), a grade of +3 degrees, and accelerate to a known distance?

Thanks for any help.

jph
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Shooting Star
Nov2-07, 05:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,982
Is this a homework question? In that case, you write what you have done so far.
HallsofIvy
Nov2-07, 05:28 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
As stated this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Since you give the "coefficient" (of friction?) I suppose we are to calculate the acceleration from force but you haven't told us the force exerted by the engine.

Shooting Star
Nov2-07, 06:16 AM
HW Helper
Formula for time to distance from stop

I think the vehicle is simply rolling downhill. Let the OP present the problem clearly.
jph
Nov2-07, 10:49 AM
This is not for homework or a class assignment. I'm trying to resolve a hunch on how a motor vehicle accident happened. I believe it was intentionally created, called a "drive down."

I am aware of some speed formulas and can derive them from KE=FR.

I believe that there is a formula that will allow me to determine the time it takes for a vehicle to accelerate from a stop to a given distance, and that it is dependent upon the force, rate of acceleration, etc. and I likely may not be able to apply the formula without having many other parameters in place first. I am not sure of what all parameters I must have to derive the time in this case.

I do not recall the necessary elements needed for the formula.

I should be able to obtain them. I know the coef of the roadway, the grade of incline, and the distance the vehicle traveled prior to impact. I know the type of vehicle and can get the weight of the vehicle to an approximation.

Is there a formula, or am I searching for a pipe dream?

Thanks
Shooting Star
Nov2-07, 11:28 AM
HW Helper
Ooh, a mystery thriller!

The grade of just 3 degrees will be negligible, in compared to accelerations produced by cars.

I also presume the co-eff of friction is that for rolling friction. Otherwise, it’s of no use.

Assuming constant acceleration, d = (½)at^2. You can get ‘t’ from this, provided you know ‘a’.

The component of g along the road will be g*(sin 3 deg). The resisting force is 0.7*m*g so the deceleration will be 0.7*g due to friction.

The other component of acceleration has to be experimentally found. You may also get the maximum acceleration from the car manual, but I can’t see how you will know the actual value.

If you can figure out roughly the speed at impact, then you can know the accn by using v^2=2da.
jph
Nov2-07, 12:32 PM
I appreciate your response. It was very helpful.

jph

Register to reply