Please recommend books for layperson?

• Thread starter squidley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: They are both dense with math but easy to follow and highly acclaimed. As for a primer, there are a lot of them. I would recommend starting with something like "Fundamental Algebra" by Robbins and Soloway.
squidley
Please recommend books for layperson??

Hello please, I am want to do amazon.com order and am after some good non-mathematical (or beginner level maths) books about space, time, dimensions, topology, the new loop quantum gravity etc etc. Books for the well-read layperson like myself! But I want new state-of-the-art stuff, brand new theories happening now, not yesterday's happenings. And well written for the "non-scientist" - ie so I can "picture" the concepts in my head without too much advnaced maths. I do not know much beyond high school maths, and that was many years ago. Do I need to learn more maths? Is there a good maths primer for this sort of subject?

Suggestions?

What about Jeffrey Weeks "The Shape of Space"?
Lee Smolin "3 Roads To Quantum Gravity"?
Lisa Randall "Warped Passages"?
Paul Halpern "The Great Beyond"?

...Things like that.

Thanking you,

Space news on Phys.org
squidley said:
But I want new state-of-the-art stuff, brand new theories happening now, not yesterday's happenings.

But you understand that to try to read about the current frontiers, you need to know something about past achievements, correct?

In that spirit, if you haven't read these yet I urge you to begin with them:

Weinberg, First Three Minutes.

Geroch, General Relativity from A to B.

And ditto Ned Wright's website (as a supplement to book reading).

After that you can try Weeks, Shape of Space and then the other books you mentioned. Happy reading!

Last edited:
While somewhat out of date now, if you want an understandable background, try Ed Harrisons's book, "Cosmology" first published in 1981. You can pick up a used copy in great condition on the internet or Amazon for about $10.-$15 The math is secondary to the explanations - it is comprehensible but not trivial - it reads like a novel.

I appreciate all your replies & thank you!

I have just submitted my (big) book order with amazon :tongue2: ! (I incl. the Weinberg, Geroch, Smolin, & Steinhardt & Turok books! Plus others!)

Yes I know Ned Wright's excellent website, however I need some light reading for when traveling on the train to work !

Thank you all again for your great recommendations.

As far as popular science goes, I have trouble not recomending either of Brian Greene's books. In your case, The Fabric of the Cosmos particularly.

What are some good book recommendations for someone who is not an expert in a particular field?

Some good book recommendations for a layperson would depend on their interests and the specific field they are interested in. However, some books that are generally recommended for non-experts include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, and "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

Are there any books that provide a good overview of a specific scientific topic?

Yes, there are many books that provide a good overview of various scientific topics for non-experts. Some examples include "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee for genetics, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene for physics, and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot for biology.

Do you have any recommendations for books that are easy to understand for someone with no scientific background?

Yes, there are many books that are written in a way that is easy to understand for someone with no scientific background. Some examples include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History" by Elizabeth Kolbert.

Are there any books that explain complex scientific concepts in a simple and engaging way?

Yes, there are many books that are known for their ability to explain complex scientific concepts in a simple and engaging way. Some examples include "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean.

What are some good book recommendations for someone interested in learning about the latest scientific developments?

Some good book recommendations for someone interested in learning about the latest scientific developments would depend on their specific interests. However, some books that are generally recommended for staying updated on scientific developments include "The Future of Life" by Edward O. Wilson, "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzweil, and "The Innovators" by Walter Isaacson.