Recommendation for High School Geometry book

In summary, cbarker1 would like recommendations for high school geometry books that are affordable and preferably e-books. He would like to improve his geometric reasoning and says one way to do this is to download a free 3-D CAD drawing tool package and experiment with drawing 3-D objects and rotating them.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

So I would like some recommendation for high school geometry books that are affordable and preferably e-books.

Why do I need some books on high school geometry? I would like to improve my geometric reasoning. When I took high school geometry a decade and half ago, I was freshman in high school and not paying attention to the subject. I understand that I have a deficient in spatial reasoning as well as having a hard time picturing congruences and similarities between polygons and triangles.

I understand some basics, but I would like to know the intermediate knowledge. When I took high school trigonometry, I enjoyed the subject and understood the topics up to the applications to geometry (where I had trouble with it). So far, the geometry books that I have are Master Math Geometry and 300 level geometry book- Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry by Greenberg.

Thanks,
cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
The book with the best title is Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge, by Rhoad, Milauskas and Whipple.
The inside is pretty good too.

Likes cbarker1 and berkeman
cbarker1 said:
I understand that I have a deficient in spatial reasoning
There are other ways to improve your spatial reasoning beyond studying Geometry. Can you say more about what situations you find yourself in where you wish you had better 3-D visualization skills?

One way to work on this (sorry for the engineering perspecive) would be to download a free 3-D CAD drawing tool package and experiment with drawing 3-D objects and rotating them. That may help you to start getting a better 3-D perspecive and mental model of things... :smile:

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/3d-printing-software/best-free-cad-software-selection/

Likes cbarker1
The authors of the book I used 50 years ago was Dolciani and Plane. I have no idea how I remember this after 50 years.

Correctiom: it is just Dolciani, Modern Geometry. I got confused
The chemistry text I used in Sienko and Plane. I interposed the Plane as an author in geometry.

moise/downs geometry

1. What are the key features to look for in a high school geometry book?

A good high school geometry book should cover all the fundamental concepts and principles of geometry, have clear and concise explanations, include plenty of practice problems, and have a variety of exercises to cater to different learning styles. It should also have a comprehensive index and glossary for easy reference.

2. Are there any specific books that are recommended for high school geometry?

There are many high school geometry books available in the market, and the best one for you will depend on your personal learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding" by Harold Jacobs, "Geometry" by Jurgensen, Brown, and Jurgensen, and "Geometry: Common Core" by Ron Larson and Laurie Boswell.

3. Is it necessary to get a textbook or are online resources sufficient for studying geometry?

While online resources can be helpful, a textbook is often considered essential for studying geometry. A textbook provides a structured approach to learning and allows for better comprehension and retention of the material. It also provides a variety of practice problems and exercises, which are crucial for mastering geometry.

4. How can I tell if a geometry book is suitable for my level?

The best way to determine if a geometry book is suitable for your level is to look at the table of contents and sample pages. If the topics covered align with your current level of knowledge and the explanations are clear and easy to understand, then the book is likely suitable for you. You can also consult with your teacher or a math tutor for their recommendations.

5. Are there any additional resources that can supplement a high school geometry book?

Yes, there are many additional resources that can supplement a high school geometry book. These include online tutorials, practice problems, and videos, as well as study guides and workbooks. You can also join a study group or seek help from a math tutor if you need extra support in understanding the material.