Register to reply

Open source or free alternatives to MathCad

by nanoWatt
Tags: alternatives, free, mathcad, source
Share this thread:
nanoWatt
Jan3-08, 10:16 AM
P: 89
I am just using MathCad as an example, as I don't know others. In college I did use something that did good 3D plots, and solved differential equations and performed integration.

I was wondering if there were free or low-cost alternatives to these expensive programs. I just need something that can give me a solution to check my work against.

I tend to have a problem of knowing when to stop deriving. I'll work on a problem, and wonder if I really have the solution.

Since I don't have $100's to purchase something that probably does way more than I need, I'm wondering what other software will be suitable.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
marcusl
Jan3-08, 10:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,080
There's a GNU "version" of Matlab called Octave that is used in universities. Most of the commands and syntax are the same.
nanoWatt
Jan3-08, 10:55 AM
P: 89
Thanks. Can you also recommend a good GUI for Octave? I'm on a Windows system. I have Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista, on two separate systems.

But I'll probably use my Windows x64 desktop because it's more powerful.

bondmatt
Mar23-10, 12:58 PM
P: 4
Open source or free alternatives to MathCad

XOctave
Its just a front end, GNU Octave must be installed. It is available for Windows and it is pretty slick.
jasonRF
Mar24-10, 06:29 AM
P: 692
I just looked at the MathCad web page - it was clearly designed by business/marketing types so I do not know all the capabilities of mathcad.

for the numeric stuff, Octave mentioned above is great. Doesn't have beautiful plots but they are functional ...

If you do symbolic integration or other symbolic work, I would recommend gnu maxima. It also does arbitrary precision arithmetic if you are ever interested.

jason
statdad
Mar24-10, 01:10 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,371
wxmaxima provides a very nice front-end to maxima.
note that sage will integrate with latex very easily (3d graphing is a bit weak, however)

Register to reply