Mathcad 14.0 - Displaying / Printing

In summary, The person is new to using Mathcad and is having trouble with formatting and printing equations. They do not care about the error messages and black boxes that appear, they just want to be able to print their equations in a clear and readable format. They also question why anyone would choose to use Mathcad for calculations when there are better options available. They suspect that their issues may be due to a print driver issue.
Libertiene
I am new to Mathcad and using it is redefining my idea of hell.

All i want to do is type some equations and then print it out. Nothing more sinister.

When i type the equations in some times they go red and i get a message appear like "a name is required here" i couldn't care less about this, is there anyway i can get rid of it?

I don't want anything to print in red. If I click "disable calculation" then the red then goes back to black, but a small black box appears. I don't want any small meaningless black boxes when i print out. Can i remove these black boxes?

I would like to thing it is not too much to ask to print text that is bold and or underlined as bold and or underlined, does anyone know how do do this? Text that i have as bold or underlined will just print as if it is not.

How do you plot a vector field in mathcad? The mathcad instructions may as well be in double dutch. Is it really as complex as they make out? If so forget it.

I have been instructed to use mathcad to enable me to present my work in a typed rather than hand written format. Thus i care little about the fact that it can do some of the calculations i have done everything by hand anyway. Bearing this in mind i am finding mathcad very bad at simply displaying what i want it to. This really makes me wonder what the hell this software is actually for? If you want to do any calculations on a computer package why would anyone choose mathcad? there are much better packages out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm starting to think maybe the problems i am having are because of a print driver issue. I just pdf'ed the attached document and clearly some of the text is on top of each other. Then when i tried to re print the document i got this error message repeatedly.

Attachments

• Mathcad - Question 11.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 295
  • error msg.doc
    88.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

I can understand your frustration with using Mathcad 14.0. However, I would like to assure you that Mathcad is a powerful tool for displaying and printing mathematical equations. It is commonly used in the scientific community for its advanced mathematical capabilities and its ability to present equations in a clear and organized manner.

In order to get rid of the red text and black boxes, it is important to ensure that all required variables and names are defined in the equations. This can be done by using the "define" function or by using the "units" function to specify the units of measurement. This will ensure that the equations are properly displayed and printed.

To print text in bold or underlined, you can use the "format" function to apply formatting to the text. This will allow you to customize the appearance of your equations when printing.

Plotting a vector field in Mathcad may seem complex at first, but once you become familiar with the software, it can be a useful tool for visualizing mathematical concepts. The instructions may seem overwhelming, but with practice, you will be able to plot vector fields efficiently.

As for your comment about using Mathcad solely for displaying work in a typed format, I can understand your perspective. However, Mathcad offers much more than just a typing tool. Its ability to perform complex calculations and present them in a visually appealing manner makes it a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.

In conclusion, while using Mathcad may be challenging at first, with practice and familiarity, it can greatly enhance your ability to present and analyze mathematical equations. I would encourage you to give it a chance and explore its features in more depth.

1. How do I change the display settings in Mathcad 14.0?

To change the display settings in Mathcad 14.0, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Options." From there, you can adjust various settings such as font size, color, and gridlines to customize the display of your Mathcad documents.

2. How do I print my Mathcad documents?

To print your Mathcad documents, go to the "File" menu and select "Print." You can then choose the printer and adjust any print settings before sending the document to be printed.

3. Can I save my Mathcad documents as PDFs?

Yes, you can save your Mathcad documents as PDFs. Simply go to the "File" menu and select "Save As." Choose "PDF" as the file type and save your document.

4. How can I change the page orientation in Mathcad 14.0?

To change the page orientation in Mathcad 14.0, go to the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." From there, you can choose between landscape and portrait orientations for your document.

5. Is it possible to add headers and footers to my Mathcad documents?

Yes, you can add headers and footers to your Mathcad documents. Go to the "Insert" menu and select "Header/Footer." You can then customize the content and appearance of your headers and footers.