How well do you sleep?

by wolram
Tags: sleep
Share this thread:
wolram
Mar10-08, 02:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Some times i sleep best when or if i fall asleep upright in my chair, but that i think is not good sleep, i think the media says one needs rem sleep, so how do your sleep patterns make you feel good?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Darkiekurdo
Mar10-08, 02:23 PM
P: 110
Well, the 'myou' are a rare and unpredictable species. It has been found by biologist that they sleep between 2 to 5 hours a day, which seems little to us, but they do not need more sleep.
chroot
Mar10-08, 02:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Depends on the night. Some nights I sleep very soundly, while others I toss and turn and stay awake practically all night.

- Warren

Oerg
Mar10-08, 02:31 PM
P: 364
How well do you sleep?

Sometimes I get so tired from work, I sleep on the floor with my uniform still on cos I am just too damn lazy to get my *** moving to the bathroom.
Werg22
Mar10-08, 04:05 PM
P: 1,520
Quote Quote by Oerg View Post
Sometimes I get so tired from work, I sleep on the floor with my uniform still on cos I am just too damn lazy to get my *** moving to the bathroom.
You sleep in the bathroom?
Moonbear
Mar10-08, 04:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
Depends on the night. Some nights I sleep very soundly, while others I toss and turn and stay awake practically all night.

- Warren
And it seems I toss and turn more the Sunday night after the time has changed, just so the morning is so much MORE difficult for waking up that hour earlier. I think everyone was sleep-walking through the day today.
Greg Bernhardt
Mar10-08, 04:10 PM
Admin
P: 9,575
I do not sleep well. got maybe 4 hours last night
Kurdt
Mar10-08, 04:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Sometimes well and other times not. I was quite ill from fatigue recently after having a few months of good sleep.
Evo
Mar10-08, 04:31 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
I haven't slept well in years.
chemisttree
Mar10-08, 04:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
And it seems I toss and turn more the Sunday night after the time has changed, just so the morning is so much MORE difficult for waking up that hour earlier. I think everyone was sleep-walking through the day today.
Happy National Napping Day! Zzzzzzzz........
Schrodinger's Dog
Mar10-08, 04:46 PM
P: 1,136
Depends on the time of year.
chroot
Mar10-08, 04:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
I used to be the sort that could not go to bed before 2 am, and desired more than anything in the world to sleep in until 10 or 11 in the morning. It has caused me a lot of problems, like when I'd have to get to work for early meetings or go on group bike rides that started at 8 am, etc.

Recently, I did an experiment -- I just stopped using caffeine. I completely cut it out of my diet, and within a week I was on "old-man hours." I would get tired at 11, often go to bed before midnight, and find myself unable to sleep past 8 or 8:30 am.

I now believe that caffeine, even small amounts of it, is very detrimental to a normal and healthy sleep schedule. If you're routinely having trouble sleeping.... just try cutting it out for a week and see what happens.

- Warren
Moonbear
Mar10-08, 04:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
I now believe that caffeine, even small amounts of it, is very detrimental to a normal and healthy sleep schedule. If you're routinely having trouble sleeping.... just try cutting it out for a week and see what happens.

- Warren
No need to rely on faith alone here...this is supported by scientific studies. A lot of people claim caffeine has no effect on them, but they don't even realize how dependent they already are on it, and how disruptive it is to their sleep patterns.

I know it disrupts my sleep. My problem is when my sleep is disrupted anyway, because of crazy experiment schedules and such, so I'm depending on the caffeine to STAY on a disrupted schedule. When I go on vacation, I can cut back my caffeine pretty quickly to just one cup of coffee in the morning (I can't stop completely that fast...too addicted and get headaches if I don't have any), and if the vacation is long enough, I can stop consuming caffeine entirely, sleep better, feel more rested, AND wake up early!

But, there's just no good reason to give the entire country jet lag with this time change nonsense.
JasonRox
Mar10-08, 05:18 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
I sleep really well and I don't consume caffeine besides the occasional coke (no more than 1 day). I never drink coffee.
turbo
Mar10-08, 05:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
If I get exposed to fragrance chemicals, I'll toss and turn all night and maybe get an hour or two of very fitful sleep. If I can avoid people (and their stupid perfumes, fabric softeners, etc), I can easily sleep 9 hours a night. Having worked rotating shifts for 10 years, I'm pretty flexible about getting to sleep rapidly. It drives my wife nuts. I'll be asleep a minute or two after my head hits the pillow, and she needs maybe an hour of reading, watching/listening to TV or something to wind down so she can doze off.
lisab
Mar10-08, 05:24 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Like the other posters here, for me it's all about caffeine. I cut back to one cup a day and now I sleep well.

Unless it's a Sunday night...if I start thinking about all the things I have to do in the coming week, I'll be lucky to get 4 hours !
JasonRox
Mar10-08, 05:25 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Also, I avoid reading, watching TV, and all that jazz on my bed. I find it so depressing to spend all that time on a bed. (I have no TV in my room or computer so it's not that hard.)
hypatia
Mar10-08, 05:41 PM
P: 1,298
I started a new shift at work. I get up at 2:45 to start work at 4 am. If I want to get close to 8 hours I need to be in bed by 7pm. I'm not doing very well, getting about 5 hours a night right now. I hope I adapt sooner then later.

Register to reply