Why do students struggle to stay awake in class?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mktsgm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Sleep
In summary: If the lecture is boring my mind wanders and I don't feel sleep!In summary, many people struggle to stay awake during lectures because they find the material uninteresting or the lecturer unengaging. If the lecture is boring and/or I am not prepared with the that day's material, I will tend to fall asleep.
mktsgm
Many a time we all have faced it while sitting in a class. During lectures we have a strong urge to sleep (rather we make a strong effort not to fall asleep. Especially if you are seated in the front rows.)

It is not just boredom. I feel it is only when we want to concentrate, we tend trio fall asleep. If the lecture is boring my mind wanders and I don't feel sleep!

Is there any study conducted on this phenomenon?

Likes Carrock
Biology news on Phys.org
If the lecture is boring and/or I am not prepared with the that day's material, I will tend to fall asleep. I wonder how much of our population exhibits which behaviour.

I'm not sure if this is very common. When I was younger, I had difficulties going to sleep at night, so would fall asleep before lunchtime. Now that I'm older, I'm not as comfortable in a classroom enough to fall asleep, no matter how sleepy I am. If there were less noise, dimmer lighting, and it wasn't so darn cold then I probably could fall asleep sometimes though. A few weeks ago it was so bad that I found a couch and set my alarm to wake me up an hour later for the next class!

mktsgm said:
Is there any study conducted on this phenomenon?
Just a very informal one, conducted by people who watch videos by Sir Roger Penrose... :oldwink:

This person made a rather snarky comment about one member of the audience...
Steve Bergman said:
Dead guy in the first row at the bottom center at 53:15.
The member, fifth from the left, in the first row, does appear to be... uninvolved ... lol

I, however, like Penrose[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldcool:[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]and enjoyed the video, although the presentation did seem a bit "awkward"...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy:

Here's the complete video ... and it's right at two hours long.

Here's the old fellow at 53 minutes and 15 seconds from Steve, on YouTube...

Penrose Aeons (1).jpg

Kinda hard to blame him for the nap though... after all, the lecture was by Penrose ... :olduhh: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol

Check the "air handlers" for the room; they're engineered to keep you alert, and the tree huggers reverse engineer them to anesthetize you.

Likes jim mcnamara
mktsgm said:
Many a time we all have faced it while sitting in a class. During lectures we have a strong urge to sleep (rather we make a strong effort not to fall asleep. Especially if you are seated in the front rows.)
I used to struggle to keep from falling asleep during some evening lectures. Eventually I attributed it to the bright lighting fatiguing my eyes. The ceiling lights were long fluro tubes and the room furniture was white-topped benches: sitting midroom I was assailed by an ocean of white glare. (In contrast, I found that classes in a room with a higher ceiling and brown desk tops didn't pose the same sleep-inducing problem.)

Once your eyes start to close for whatever reason you are partway towards the Land of Nod.

There seems to be a dearth of physiological research into boredom. This paper has a good overview of the topic:

On the Function of Boredom
Shane W Bench and Heather C Lench
Behav. Sci. (2013)
http://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/3/3/459/htm

The physiology section is particularly interesting as there are contradictory reports on whether or not boredom leads to low arousal states (i.e. lethargy) or high arousal states. They make the argument that boredom is commonly misunderstood and that it is actually a high arousal state. When bored people become restless and frustrated, seeking to change their environment. Apathy however does lead to lethargy and low arousal states.

Speculating based on this paper the reason why people tend to feel tired during lectures are a combination of:

A) Uninteresting material
B) Uninteresting lecturer
C) Sedentary environment

and as a bonus...

D) Otherwise sleep-deprived lifestyle.

I think it's actually pretty normal. We don't naturally have the attention span to sit still for one hour and listen to a single person talk about a single subject, but our society (well, at least our subculture) has made something of a moral obligation out of attending school, so we do it anyway.

1. Why is it important to sleep in a class?

It is important to sleep in a class because sleep plays a crucial role in our overall health and well-being. It helps to restore and repair our bodies, improve our memory and learning abilities, and regulate our emotions and mood. Getting enough sleep can also increase our attention and focus, which is important for learning in a classroom setting.

2. What happens to our brains when we sleep in a class?

When we sleep, our brains go through different stages of sleep, including a deep sleep and a lighter REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. During these stages, our brains are actively processing and consolidating information and memories from the day. This is important for learning and retaining new information, which is why it is beneficial to sleep in a class.

3. How much sleep do we need in a class?

The amount of sleep we need in a class can vary from person to person, but on average, adults need around 7-9 hours of sleep per night. However, in a classroom setting, it is recommended to take short naps of 20-30 minutes to help improve alertness and focus without disrupting the sleep-wake cycle.

4. Can sleeping in a class negatively affect our grades?

Yes, sleeping in a class can negatively affect our grades as it can lead to missing important information and not being able to fully engage in the learning process. It can also disrupt our sleep-wake cycle and make it harder for us to fall asleep at night, leading to chronic sleep deprivation which can affect our overall academic performance.

5. What can we do to prevent sleeping in a class?

To prevent sleeping in a class, it is important to establish a regular sleep schedule and prioritize getting enough sleep each night. It can also be helpful to engage in physical activity and avoid consuming caffeine or heavy meals close to bedtime. Additionally, practicing good sleep hygiene, such as creating a comfortable and dark sleep environment, can also help improve the quality of our sleep.