Order of matrix

by ns5032
Tags: matrix, order
ns5032
Mar11-08, 01:03 PM
P: 28
I have a specific 2 by 2 matrix, but obviously I don't want the answer to my actual problem, so can someone just explain to me the general process of finding the order of a 2x2 matrix??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
HallsofIvy
Mar11-08, 03:17 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
What is the definition of "order of a matrix"?
ns5032
Mar11-08, 10:10 PM
P: 28
You know as well as I do. The problem I am given states:

"Given a linear transformation given by the matrix equation:

(x',y') = (x,y) (a specific 2x2 matrix with some number b included, which I will leave out for now),

show that this transformation has order 3, no matter what b is."

HallsofIvy
Mar12-08, 06:56 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879

Order of matrix

No, I don't know what definition you are using for "order of a matrix" which is what you asked. The only definition I know would say that the order of a 2 x 2 matrix is "2 x 2".

There is, however, an "order" of a LINEAR TRANSFORMATION which you now mention. It is the smallest power, n, such that Tn is the identity. If that is the definition you are using just calculate the square and third power of your matrix. If the square is not the identity but the third power is, then the linear transformation has "order" 3.

Register to reply