Is the Cube of matrix associative?

In summary, two people were discussing the order of matrix multiplication for finding the cube of a matrix. While one person was unsure about the order, both individuals concluded that it does not matter since matrix multiplication is associative. However, the first person mentioned that they did not get the same matrix when changing the order. The second person pointed out that this was likely due to a mistake in their calculations and that transposing and inverting matrices can change the order of the expressions.
TheMercury79
Homework Statement
I was wondering the same thing as the poster of this original thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/cubing-a-matrix.451979/

I have a matrix that needs to be cubed, so which order should I use:
[A]^3 = [A]^2[A] or [A][A]^2 ?
Relevant Equations
The two people that answered both say the order doesn't matter since
matrix multiplication is associative:

(A*A)*A=A*(A*A)
But I actually don't get the same matrix. What I get is the transpose of the other when I change the order

i.e when I do [A]^2[A] I get the transpose of [A][A]^2 and vice versa

What I'm trying to do is find the cube of the expectation value of x in the harmonic oscillator in matrix form.
We're supposed to use direct matrix multiplication (using ladder operators is in part b of the problem).
I seem to have got the correct matrix elements for x^2, but for x^3 the order of the multiplication does seem
to matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMercury79 said:
Homework Statement:: I was wondering the same thing as the poster of this original thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/cubing-a-matrix.451979/

I have a matrix that needs to be cubed, so which order should I use:
[A]^3 = [A]^2[A] or [A][A]^2 ?
Relevant Equations:: The two people that answered both say the order doesn't matter since
matrix multiplication is associative:

(A*A)*A=A*(A*A)

But I actually don't get the same matrix.
Then you have made a mistake somewhere. Matrix multiplication is indeed associative and thus the order irrelevant.

Likes TheMercury79
fresh_42 said:
Then you have made a mistake somewhere. Matrix multiplication is indeed associative and thus the order irrelevant.

Thanks. It turned out they are the same. I just ended up with different expressions on the transposes.
e.g (3/2)*sqrt(1/2) was transposed with sqrt(1/2)*(1+sqrt(1/2)), but these are equal so there was no problem

Transposing changes the order: ##(A\cdot B)^\tau=B^\tau \cdot A^\tau##, same does inversion: ##(A\cdot B)^{-1}=B^{-1} \cdot A^{-1}##.

1. Is the Cube of matrix associative?

Yes, the Cube of matrix is associative. This means that the order in which the operations are performed does not affect the final result.

2. What is the definition of associative property?

The associative property states that the way in which multiple operations are grouped does not affect the final result. In other words, if there are multiple operations, it does not matter which ones are performed first, as long as they are performed in the same order.

3. How do you know if a matrix is associative?

To determine if a matrix is associative, you can perform the operations in different orders and compare the results. If the final result is the same regardless of the order in which the operations are performed, then the matrix is associative.

4. What are some examples of matrices that are not associative?

Some examples of matrices that are not associative include non-square matrices, matrices with different dimensions, and matrices with non-numerical elements (such as matrices with variables).

5. Why is the associative property important in mathematics?

The associative property is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex operations by changing the grouping of the operations. This makes it easier to solve equations and perform calculations, and is a fundamental concept in algebra and other areas of mathematics.