Integration of Sin[x^2]?

by gamesguru
Tags: integration, sinx2
Share this thread:
gamesguru
Mar29-08, 04:28 PM
P: 85
I've attached my work, but basically, I'm trying to compute this:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}2\sin({x^2})dx[/tex].
(The 2 is only there because when you expand it into an exponential function, it makes like easier.)
You can look at my work to see what I did. My question now is, is it possible to express that limit in exact form? If so, what is it? Why does the limit have this value?

I also tried doing this with double integrals and polar coordinates to calculate the square of the integral but I ran into a problem deep into it of evaluating [itex]\sin{\infty}[/itex] and [itex]\cos{\infty}[/itex].
If you're curious why I care about this, it's because this integral is important in the diffraction of light. While only the approximate answer is important in physics, I'm just curious about the mathematics behind it.
Thanks in advanced.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
flebbyman
Mar29-08, 05:04 PM
P: 28
It has no elementary anti derivative so it can't be evaluated in a closed form, but you can only get a pretty good approximation, as you have done
tiny-tim
Mar29-08, 05:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi gamesguru!

(1) 1.2533 = √(π/2).

(2) Do you know the trick for integrating [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex] ?

Try putting [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin{x^2}dx[/tex] = imaginary part of [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i x^2}dx[/tex].

(or perhaps [tex]\lim{\epsilon\to0}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{(i\,-\,\epsilon) x^2}dx[/tex], for positive real epsilon)

gamesguru
Mar29-08, 05:18 PM
Integration of Sin[x^2]?

@tiny-tim
I tried that method, read my post. I got to a point where I was evaluating cos[∞] or sin[∞]. Try it for yourself, it won't work.
tiny-tim
Mar29-08, 05:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by gamesguru View Post
@tiny-tim
I tried that method, read my post.
ah I must have stopped reading the post when I started looking at the .jpg, and then forgotten where to resume reading.
I got to a point where I was evaluating cos[∞] or sin[∞]. Try it for yourself, it won't work.
Yup that's why I suggested the epsilon method.

(I haven't actually checked it myself but the result is right, so I expect it works over to you! )
gamesguru
Mar29-08, 05:39 PM
I don't see how the epsilon method makes this more easy to integrate. I'd appreciate it if you should me how to do it, or at least get started.
tiny-tim
Mar29-08, 05:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by gamesguru View Post
I don't see how the epsilon method makes this more easy to integrate.
Because you end up evaluating [tex]e^{-\epsilon x^2} e^{i x^2}[/tex] from 0 to ∞ (which converges), instead of just [tex]e^{i x^2}[/tex] (which doesn't).
gamesguru
Mar29-08, 06:03 PM
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
Because you end up evaluating [tex]e^{-\epsilon x^2} e^{i x^2}[/tex] from 0 to ∞ (which converges), instead of just [tex]e^{i x^2}[/tex] (which doesn't).
In, [tex]e^{-\epsilon x^2} e^{i x^2}[/tex] the first term goes to 1 (e^0=1), not 0. I still don't see how this helps...
tiny-tim
Mar29-08, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Yes, but e^-∞ = 0, which is what matters!
gamesguru
Mar29-08, 06:33 PM
[tex]
e^{-\epsilon x^2} e^{i x^2}=e^{-0x^2}e^{ix^2}=e^{ix^2}
[/tex]
...what am i missing? I don't see a [itex]e^{-\infty}[/itex].
tiny-tim
Mar29-08, 06:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
ah in my post #7, I was talking about x going from 0 to ∞.

I thought you had already found that that was the problem that e^(ix^2), or sin(x^2), doesn't converge as x -> ∞.

But multiply it by e^(-(epsilon)x^2), where epsilon is fixed, and it converges to 0.
gamesguru
Mar29-08, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure I follow you. I'd really like it if you just do it so I could see how it's done and possibly learn something. We're making no progress right now.
K.J.Healey
Mar29-08, 07:18 PM
P: 641
2*sqrt(Pi/8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FresnelS

Register to reply