Can this difficult Gaussian integral be done analytically?

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult integral involving the Gaussian average and a sine hyperbolic function. The integral can be solved for specific values of parameters, but the method of expanding the root in powers of ##a## does not seem to yield easy-to-work-with sequences. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the saddle-point method for approximation, but this is only useful in trivial cases. The conversation ends with a question about why the person is looking for a closed form analytical solution.
Ben D.
Here is a tough integral that I'm not quite sure how to do. It's the Gaussian average:

$$
I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx\, \frac{e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sqrt{1+a^2 \sinh^2(b x)}
$$

for ##0 < a < 1## and ##b > 0##. Obviously the integral can be done for ##a = 0## (or ##b=0##) and for ##a=1##. But otherwise, I'm stomped? Expanding the root in powers of ##a##, we can do all the integrals in the series and get a power series. But the sequences I get don't seem easy to work with.

I'm curious if there is an elegant way to do this? Is it even doable? To clarify, I'm looking for a closed form analytical solution (if it exists).

Ben

P.S. Solutions in term of known special functions are acceptable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrals like that make me think of the saddle-point method. However, it is a method for approximation and not exact aside from trivial cases.

Haborix said:
Integrals like that make me think of the saddle-point method. However, it is a method for approximation and not exact aside from trivial cases.
Yes, the saddle point approximation is useful in a couple of limits, but these limits are basically just the trivial limits because the integrand is almost exactly Gaussian (or a pair of Gaussians) in these limits.

Ben D. said:
I'm looking for a closed form analytical solution (if it exists).
Out of curiosity: why, exactly ?

Keith_McClary said:
https://www.integral-calculator.com/
could not solve it with this input:
exp(-x^2/2)sqrt(1+a^2 sinh^2(bx))
Maybe because it's an integrator, not an equation solver ?
Filling in numbers works with wolframalpha. However, especially for ##a##, the results don't give a clue.

1. Can the Gaussian integral be solved using traditional methods?

Yes, the Gaussian integral can be solved using traditional methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and completing the square.

2. Is there a general formula for solving Gaussian integrals?

No, there is no general formula for solving Gaussian integrals. Each integral must be approached individually using different methods.

3. What makes Gaussian integrals difficult to solve analytically?

Gaussian integrals involve the Gaussian function, which is a non-elementary function. This means it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions, making it difficult to integrate.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving difficult Gaussian integrals?

Yes, there are special techniques such as contour integration and the use of special functions like the error function and the gamma function that can be used to solve difficult Gaussian integrals.

5. Can numerical methods be used to solve Gaussian integrals?

Yes, numerical methods such as Monte Carlo integration and Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the value of a Gaussian integral. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution.