Find formula for sum of square roots

In summary: If you presume that the sum of the first n square roots is a well defined constant you get a c*n^(3/2) dependence and you have to work a little harder to get the alpha. So you have to combine the two as you have done.
zillac

Homework Statement

Find the asymptotic formula for

[tex]\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}+...+\sqrt{n}[/tex]

in the form of [tex]c \ast n^{\alpha}[/tex]
Identify c and alpha.
(Do NOT use the fundamental theorem of calculus)

Homework Equations

Area under curve [tex]y = \sqrt{x}[/tex] in [0, 1]
is [tex]\frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sum^{n}_{i=1}\sqrt{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

...I'm really not sure from where to start...
I know [tex]c = \frac{2}{3}[/tex] and [tex]\alpha = \frac{3}{2}[/tex], but do not know how to prove it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go with the area under the curve idea. The sum from 1 to n of sqrt(n) is approximated by the area under the curve sqrt(x) from x=0 to n. Set that up as an integral and evaluate it.

Sorry I forget to say that the fundamental theorem of calculus cannot be used, otherwise it is pretty straight forward.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, then. If c is the area under the curve sqrt(x) on [0,1] and I(n) is your sum of square roots, then you have c=limit n->infinity (1/n^(3/2))*I(n) from your Riemann integral type expression (were you just given that?). So for large n, I(n)~c*n^(3/2). There's the 3/2. The easy way to get c is to integrate to get the area. But not allowed? Ok, then look at I(n)-I(n-1)~c*(n^(3/2)-(n-1)^(3/2)). Separate the n's from the c and take the limit as n -> infinity. Is that allowed? (All of this is really just doing calculus the HARD WAY).

zillac said:
Sorry I forget to say that the fundamental theorem of calculus cannot be used, otherwise it is pretty straight forward.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, all the fundamental theorem of calculus says is that definite integrals can be written in terms of antiderivatives, so as long as you don't use that fact, it should be a problem, no? So, as Dick suggests, set up the problem as an integral, and then evaluate the Riemann sums directly and take the limit, rather than plugging in known antiderivatives.

Welcome to PF!

zillac said:
Find the asymptotic formula for

[tex]\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}+...+\sqrt{n}[/tex]

in the form of [tex]c \ast n^{\alpha}[/tex]
Identify c and alpha.
(Do NOT use the fundamental theorem of calculus)

Hi zillac! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: when n -> ∞, cn^α + √n -> c(n+1)^α. :smile:

quadraphonics said:
Well, all the fundamental theorem of calculus says is that definite integrals can be written in terms of antiderivatives, so as long as you don't use that fact, it should be a problem, no? So, as Dick suggests, set up the problem as an integral, and then evaluate the Riemann sums directly and take the limit, rather than plugging in known antiderivatives.

I tried using Riemann sums and it will go back to finding the sum of the sequence ([tex]\frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sum^{n}_{i=1}\sqrt{i}[/tex])

I(n)-I(n-1)~c*(n^(3/2)-(n-1)^(3/2)) will work when alpha is found.
So,
c = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^\frac{3}{2}-(n-1)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{1+(1-1/n)^\frac{3}{2}}{3-3/n-3/n^2}
[/tex]
lim c = 2/3
---------
then for the first half of question
lim Area = lim 1/(n^3/2) * ∑√i ( lim n -> infinity)
-> Area * n^3/2 = ∑√i = c * n^a
-> alpha = 3/2..

Is this precise enough to conclude the value of alpha?

Last edited:
Sure, if you presume that the area is a well defined constant, the riemann sum immediately gives you the n^(3/2) dependence. You just have to work a little harder to get the c.

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of square roots?

The formula for finding the sum of square roots is:
√a + √b = √(a + 2√ab + b)

2. How do you calculate the sum of two square roots?

To calculate the sum of two square roots, use the formula:
√a + √b = √(a + 2√ab + b)

3. Can the sum of square roots be simplified?

Yes, the sum of square roots can be simplified by breaking down the expression into its simplest form. For example, √25 + √9 = 5 + 3 = 8

4. Are there any special cases when finding the sum of square roots?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the sum of square roots. One example is when the two numbers under the square roots are perfect squares, in which case the sum can be simplified to the square root of the sum of the two perfect squares. For example, √16 + √9 = √25 = 5

5. How can I use the sum of square roots formula in real-life problems?

The sum of square roots formula can be used in various real-life problems, such as calculating the total distance traveled when given the distance and direction of travel in a right triangle. It can also be used in physics to find the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object.