Computing a limit involving a square root: what is wrong?

In summary: I think you should be able to do the algebraic manipulation to get this into a form that is easy to take the limit of, and then you'll have your answer.As a hint, you can use the difference of squares formula to get it into a form that is easy to take the limit of, and then solve for the limit in that form.
yucheng
Homework Statement
> Rudin 3.4. Calculate ##\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \left(\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n\right)##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
My attempt:

\begin{align}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= n\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}} -n\\
&=n - n\\
&= 0\\
\end{align}

I think the issue is at (1)-(2)

For comparison, here is Rudin's solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing one term that does not vanish in (2). I suggest you expand the square root in a Taylor expansion in ##1/n##.

Edit: The issue is that, by just taking the leading term of the square root, you end up with ##n\sqrt{1 + 1/n} = n(1 + \mathcal O(1/n)) = n + \mathcal O(1)##. The ##\mathcal O(1)## term does not vanish as ##n\to \infty## and so just taking the leading term from the square root tells you nothing about the limit.

• Love
Likes yucheng
Although ##\sqrt{1+1/n}## gets arbitrarily close to 1, it is then multiplied by ##n##, which is large. So it is hard to conclude that ##n\sqrt{1+1/n}## approaches ##n##.

yucheng said:
Homework Statement:: > Rudin 3.4. Calculate ##\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \left(\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n\right)##.
Relevant Equations:: N/A

My attempt:

\begin{align}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= n\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}} -n\\
&=n - n\\
&= 0\\
\end{align}

I think the issue is at (1)-(2)

For comparison, here is Rudin's solution
Another approach is to complete the square for ##n^2 + n##.

Likes FactChecker and yucheng
@PeroK

\begin{align*}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}} - n \\
&= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} n+\frac{1}{2} - n \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \\
\end{align*}

Likes FactChecker
yucheng said:
@PeroK

\begin{align*}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}} - n \\
&= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} n+\frac{1}{2} - n \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \\
\end{align*}
That's not a rigorous proof, but it does clarify the answer. You can, of course, do something rigorous with the first term.

Likes yucheng and FactChecker
PeroK said:
That's not a rigorous proof, but it does clarify the answer. You can, of course, do something rigorous with the first term.
I don't think I know how to rigorize this. Do you mean:

\begin{align*}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}} &= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} (n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} \\
&= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} n+\frac{1}{2}
\end{align*}

Since ##(n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} = (n+\frac{1}{2})(1 + \mathcal O(\frac{1}{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2)}) = (n+\frac{1}{2}) + \mathcal O(\frac{1}{(n+\frac{1}{2}))})##

P.S. i just plugged and chugged and @Orodruin 's argument :)

yucheng said:

\begin{align*}
\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}} &= \lim\limits_{n \to \infty} (n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} \\
\end{align*}

Since ##(n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} = (n+\frac{1}{2})(1 + \mathcal O(\frac{1}{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2)}) = (n+\frac{1}{2}) + \mathcal O(\frac{1}{(n+\frac{1}{2}))})##

That's not how I would do it though. I would have started from your ##n\sqrt{1 + 1/n}## and noted that ##\sqrt{1 + x} = 1 + x/2 + \mathcal O(x^2)## to find
$$
n\sqrt{1 + \frac 1n}-n = n \left[ 1 + \frac{1}{2n} + \mathcal O(1/n^2)\right]-n = n + \frac 12 + \mathcal O(1/n) -n = \frac 12 + \mathcal O(1/n).
$$

Likes etotheipi, FactChecker and yucheng
You keep writing all these limits and claiming they equal each other. They do, in as far as they all are equal to infinity in your last post, but that actually doesn't help you solve your problem. I think you should try to be more careful with what you write, since what you're doing is not going to do you any favors as you progress in your studies.

Likes yucheng
yucheng said:

\begin{align*}
\end{align*}
This is incorrect, as the last limit you get is ##\infty##. The value I get for this limit is ##\frac 1 2##.
Probably the easiest approach is to multiply the first expression by 1, in the form of ##\sqrt{n^2 + n} + n## over itself. When you have a limit that involves the sum or difference of square root quantities, it's often helpful to multiply by the conjugate over itsef.

Also, I don't think that the approach shown by @Orodruin, (with the "big O" notation) is necessary here, and is not an approach that is normally taken in most calculus textbooks.

Another tip to make things easier in limit problems is use algebraic manipulation to get the expression into some usable form, and then take the limit.

For example, do the algebraic manipulation:
$$\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n = (\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n) \cdot \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + n} + n}{\sqrt{n^2 + n} + n} = \dots = \text{final expression}$$
Now take the limit:
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n = \lim_{n \to \infty} \text{final expression} = L$$

Mark44 said:
Also, I don't think that the approach shown by @Orodruin, (with the "big O" notation) is necessary here, and is not an approach that is normally taken in most calculus textbooks.
It’s just how I would do it to get the limit. As long as you get the limit correct, nothing else is really necessary.

yucheng said:
\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}} &= \lim_{n \to \infty} (n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} \\
&= \lim_{n \to \infty} n+\frac{1}{2}
\end{align*}
You seem to be using this line of reasoning:
\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{(n+\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}}
&= \lim_{n \to \infty} (n+\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}} \\
&= \lim_{n \to \infty} (n+\frac{1}{2}) \underbrace{\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{1}{4(n+\frac{1}{2})^2}}}_1 \\
&= \lim_{n \to \infty} n+\frac{1}{2}
\end{align*} That second line is not correct, and the same mistake led to the erroneous result in your original post.

• Skeptical
Likes yucheng
Alternatively, [tex]
\begin{align*}
\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= n\left(\sqrt{1 + \frac1n} - 1\right) \\
&= \frac{\sqrt{1 + \frac1n} - 1}{\frac 1n}
\end{align*}[/tex] and hence by l'Hopital's rule [tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{n^2 + n} - n &= \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{1 + x} - 1}{x} \\
&= \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{1 + x}}}{1} = \frac12.\end{align*}[/tex]

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
yucheng said:

\begin{align*}
\end{align*}

You need to show that as ##n## increases, so ##\sqrt{(n+\frac 1 2)^2 - \frac 1 4}## gets arbitrarily close to ##n + \frac 1 2##. We can see that it is always less than ##n + \frac 1 2##, so we need to show that for every ##\epsilon > 0## we can find ##N## such that ##n > N \ \Rightarrow \sqrt{(n+\frac 1 2)^2 - \frac 1 4} > (n + \frac 1 2) - \epsilon##.

One technique is to work forwards to find ##N##, then work backwards from that in your proof. In this case, we need ##n + \frac 1 2 > \frac 1 2(\epsilon + \frac 1 {4\epsilon})##. It would be a good exercise for you to show that that works and then to work out for yourself how to find that lower bound.

Other methods are simpler for this particular problem, but if you are doing real analysis you need to be able to do these ##\epsilon## based proofs.

Likes yucheng

1. What is a limit involving a square root in computing?

A limit involving a square root in computing refers to the process of finding the value that a mathematical function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain value, where the function contains a square root.

2. Why is computing a limit involving a square root important?

Computing a limit involving a square root is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications.

3. What are some common mistakes when computing a limit involving a square root?

Some common mistakes when computing a limit involving a square root include forgetting to simplify the expression, not considering the domain of the function, and using incorrect algebraic manipulations.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when computing a limit involving a square root?

To avoid making mistakes when computing a limit involving a square root, it is important to carefully follow the steps of evaluating a limit, simplify the expression as much as possible, and double-check your work for any errors. It is also helpful to practice with different types of functions and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. What should I do if I encounter an indeterminate form when computing a limit involving a square root?

If you encounter an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, when computing a limit involving a square root, it means that the limit cannot be determined using the standard methods. In this case, you may need to use advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series to evaluate the limit. It is also important to check if the limit exists by approaching the value from different directions.