Series Convergence: What Can the Nth Term Test Tell Us?

In summary, the conversation discusses different tests for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, specifically the divergence test, ratio test, and integral test. The conversation also touches on the idea of indeterminate forms and the importance of fully evaluating a limit before making a conclusion. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the Nth Term Test for Divergence indicates that the series diverges if the limit is not equal to 0.
woopydalan
Homework Statement
Determine whether each of the following series converges or not.
## \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {n+3}{\sqrt{5n^2+1}}##
Relevant Equations
Divergence test, ratio test, etc
I'm not sure which test is the best to use, so I just start with a divergence test

##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n+3}{\sqrt{5n^2+1}}##
The +3 and +1 are negligible
##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {n}{\sqrt{5n^2}}##

So now I have ##\infty / \infty##. So it's not conclusive. Trying ratio test

##\lim_{n \to \infty} \lvert \frac {n+4}{\sqrt{5(n+1)^2+1}} \cdot \frac {\sqrt{5n^2+1}}{n+3} \rvert##
seems to yield 1, so inconclusive

Integral test
## \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac {x+3}{\sqrt{5x^2+1}} dx ##. I could separate
## \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac {x}{\sqrt{5x^2+1}} dx + \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac {3}{\sqrt{5x^2+1}} dx ##
First part of the sum would be u-sub, not sure if I even know how to do the second part of the sum

Physics news on Phys.org
Think again about ##\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{n}{\sqrt{5n^2}}}.##

Likes Delta2
I see, 1/sqrt(5)

Likes Delta2
woopydalan said:
I see, 1/sqrt(5)
Ok, so what does the nth Term Test for Divergence tell you then?

woopydalan said:
So now I have ∞/∞.
Which means you haven't gone far enough in evaluating the limit. If you get any of the indeterminate forms, such as ##\frac \infty \infty, \frac 0 0, \infty - \infty,## or a few others, there is still work to do.

Mark44 said:
Ok, so what does the nth Term Test for Divergence tell you then?
Diverges if it's not 0

woopydalan said:
Diverges if it's not 0
What I meant was, what does the Nth Term Test tell you about this series, something I think you have now figured out.

1. What is series convergence?

Series convergence refers to the behavior of an infinite sequence of numbers as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value, and diverges if the sum approaches infinity or does not approach any value.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several methods for determining series convergence, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series. Additionally, the alternating series test can be used for alternating series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series in which the sum of the absolute values of the terms converges, while conditional convergence refers to a series in which the sum of the terms converges but the sum of the absolute values of the terms diverges. In other words, absolute convergence guarantees convergence of the series, while conditional convergence does not.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can either converge or diverge, but not both. However, a series can have both convergent and divergent subsequences, which can be confusing. It is important to carefully analyze the behavior of the series as a whole to determine if it converges or diverges.

5. What is the significance of determining series convergence?

Determining series convergence is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, statistics, and physics. It allows us to accurately calculate the sum of an infinite series and make predictions about the behavior of a system. It also helps us understand the underlying patterns and relationships within a series, which can lead to further discoveries and advancements in these fields.