Rolling Solid Disk: Angular Speed, Energy Loss, & Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating disk placed on a horizontal surface. The conversation covers the angular speed of the disk, the fractional loss in kinetic energy, the time interval before pure rolling motion occurs, and the distance the disk travels before pure rolling occurs. The summary also mentions a potential mistake in the calculation of the fractional loss in kinetic energy.
lx2
I have attempted to solve this question and I got stuck at the last part. Here you go.

A uniform solid disk is set into rotation with an angular speed X about an axis through its center. While still rotating at this speed, the disk is placed into contact with a horizontal surface and released.

(a) What is the angular speed of the disk once pure rolling takes place?
(b) Find the fractional loss in kinetic energy from the time the disk is released until pure rolling occurs.
(c) Furthermore, assume that the coefficient of friction between disk and surface is u. Show that the time interval before pure rolling motion occurs is RX/3ug
(d) Show that the distance the disk travels before pure rolling occurs is (RX)^2 / (18ug)

For part (a), I assumed a constant frictional force acting at the point of contact until pure rolling occurs. Say the force = F, final angular velocity = Y, and t = duration of the force. Moment of inertia of the disk = 0.5MR^2

Using Newton's Second Law (both linear and rotational),

Ft = Mv = MRY ... (1)
FRt = (0.5MR^2)(X-Y)

Equating the two equations,
0.5X - 0.5Y = Y
1.5Y = 0.5X
Y = 1/3 X

(b) Have calculated the fractional loss as 2/3.

(c) Using equation (1), uMgt = MR(1/3 X)
t = RX/3ug

(d) I couldn't solve this part. I tried to apply conservation of energy for the loss of energy due to friction.

Let the distance traveled be s and F be the frictional force.
Fs = uMgs = loss of energy = (2/3)(0.5 x 0.5MR^2 x X^2) = (1/6 MR^2X^2)
s = (1/6 MR^2X^2) / uMg = (1/6 R^2X^2) / ug

My answers are correct for part a,b,c
Couldn't get the coefficient as 1/18 as required by question :(
Someone please tell me what's going wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot assume that the distance the center of the disk moves is the same as the distance the surfaces slip. But there's an easier way: What's the acceleration of the disk?

Acceleration of the center of mass? Do u mean I'll have to solve it using kinematics equations?

Before pure rolling occurs, what happens to the disk actually? slipping+rolling? i couldn't imagine how smth slip and roll at the same time. anything to help me picture that?

lx2 said:
Acceleration of the center of mass?
Yes.
Do u mean I'll have to solve it using kinematics equations?
Solve what? For the distance, sure. To get the acceleration, consider the force that acts. Hint: You already have the time.

Before pure rolling occurs, what happens to the disk actually? slipping+rolling? i couldn't imagine how smth slip and roll at the same time. anything to help me picture that?
Yes, rolling and slipping until the translational speed is increased enough for rolling without slipping.

I got u. Thanks!

Hi. I'm sorry for bumping this old thread. I was wondering about something in his workings. For part B, the fractional loss is not 2/3 right? 2/3 is just the loss in rotational energy.

The total loss in K.E will be Initial rot. energy - final rot. energy - final translational energy?

Thanks.
EDIT:

Is the fractional loss in K.E 1/6?

Last edited:

1. What is a rolling solid disk?

A rolling solid disk is a physical object that has a circular shape and a solid body, meaning it has a defined volume and mass. It is also able to rotate around its central axis, allowing it to move and roll on a surface.

2. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is a measure of how fast a rotating object is moving around its central axis. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

3. How does a rolling solid disk lose energy?

A rolling solid disk can lose energy through various processes such as friction, air resistance, and deformation. When it rolls on a surface, some of its mechanical energy is converted into heat due to friction. In addition, as the disk rotates, it also experiences air resistance, which causes it to slow down. Lastly, if the disk is not perfectly rigid, it may experience deformation, which also results in energy loss.

4. How is distance related to the angular speed of a rolling solid disk?

The distance traveled by a rolling solid disk depends on its angular speed. The faster the disk rotates, the farther it will travel in a given amount of time. This is because the angular speed determines the rate at which the disk's central axis moves, which in turn affects its linear velocity and distance traveled.

5. Can the angular speed of a rolling solid disk be changed?

Yes, the angular speed of a rolling solid disk can be changed. It can be increased or decreased by applying a torque or an external force on the disk. Additionally, factors such as the surface on which the disk is rolling and the disk's mass and shape can also affect its angular speed.