Ring and solid sphere rolling down an incline - rotation problem

In summary, four objects are released from a top of an incline simultaneously. The hollow sphere will reach the bottom first due to its lower coefficient of friction.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A solid sphere, hollow sphere, disk and ring are released simultaneously from top of a incline. Friction is sufficient to prevent slipping of hollow sphere- what will reach the bottom first?

Homework Equations

a in pure rolling down an incline=gsinθ/(1 + I/mR^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I determined which objects are pure-rolling and which are slipping. Let's say I/mR^2=n which is just the coefficient with the mr^2 term for convenience. Now from the above formula acceleration for a body in pure rolling is given by gsinθ/(1+n). Now, mgsinθ-frictionforce=mgsinθ/(1+n) therefore frictional force=nmgsinθ/(1+n). Using frictional force<=μN and N=mgcosθ we get μ>=ntanθ/1+n. So minimum coefficient of friction required for hollow sphere to roll is 2tanθ/5, plugging n for the other bodies we see that all the bodies except the ring will be pure rolling. Now when all 4 are pure rolling, solid sphere has highest value of acceleration so reaches first, but now ring is slipping so the competition is between the solid sphere and the ring.
Using s=(1/2)at^2 (s is same for both bodies) t for solid sphere is sqrt(14s/5gsinθ). I'm getting very confused finding the t for the ring though, any help would be appreciated-thank you
Edit: So, the acceleration for the ring is g(sinθ-μcosθ), plugging the minimum value of μ we found for hollow sphere, we get t=sqrt(10s/3gsinθ) which indicates the solid sphere will reach first. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
minimum coefficient of friction required for hollow sphere to roll is 2tanθ/5
Is that right? What value of n are you plugging in?
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Friction is sufficient to prevent slipping of hollow sphere-
Should this say "just sufficient"?

haruspex said:
Is that right? What value of n are you plugging in?
n is 2/3 for a hollow sphere. (2/3)/(1+(2/3)) gives 2/5 so 2/5tanθ.
haruspex said:
It doesn't say that. But knowing the way around this book, I can safely say that was most probably the meaning. Otherwise there'd be two cases- one where all are rolling and one where only the ring isn't; in any case the solid sphere seems to win both races

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
n is 2/3 for a hollow sphere. (2/3)/(1+(2/3)) gives 2/5 so 2/5tanθ.
Sorry, I misread it as solid sphere.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I misread it as solid sphere.
so everything's correct?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
So, the acceleration for the ring is g(sinθ-μcosθ), plugging the minimum value of μ we found for hollow sphere, we get t=sqrt(10s/3gsinθ) which indicates the solid sphere will reach first. Is that correct?
Yes, this all looks right, but I think you can make it a bit simpler by comparing accelerations instead of times: (5/7)g sin(θ) for the solid sphere, (3/5)g sin(θ) for the ring.

haruspex said:
Yes, this all looks right, but I think you can make it a bit simpler by comparing accelerations instead of times: (5/7)g sin(θ) for the solid sphere, (3/5)g sin(θ) for the ring.
Alright thank you

haruspex said:
On reflection, it does not need to. Increasing it will slow the ring further but not affect the others.

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
On reflection, it does not need to. Increasing it will slow the ring further but not affect the others.
ah! right.

1. What is the difference between a ring and a solid sphere rolling down an incline?

A ring is a two-dimensional object that is hollow in the middle, while a solid sphere is a three-dimensional object with no hollow space. This difference affects their moments of inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the rolling motion of a ring or solid sphere?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration of the object and therefore its rotational motion. A steeper incline will result in a larger acceleration and faster rolling motion, while a shallower incline will result in a slower rolling motion.

3. Which object will reach the bottom of the incline first, a ring or a solid sphere?

The solid sphere will reach the bottom of the incline first because it has a larger moment of inertia compared to a ring. This means that it has a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion and will therefore accelerate faster.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its rolling motion down an incline?

The mass of the object does not directly affect its rolling motion down an incline. However, a heavier object will have a larger moment of inertia, which will affect its acceleration and therefore its rolling motion.

5. Is there any way to calculate the final velocity of a ring or solid sphere at the bottom of the incline?

Yes, the final velocity can be calculated using the principles of conservation of energy. The potential energy of the object at the top of the incline will be converted into kinetic energy at the bottom, and the final velocity can be found using the equation for kinetic energy.