Angular momentum of a purely rolling body

In summary, you can find the angular momentum about a point in the ground frame by imagining the origin moving with the point and taking the origin to be the top-most point, but not moving with it.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A disk is undergoing pure rolling motion with speed v. The radius of the disk being R and mass M. Then the angular momentum of the disk about the
1)bottom most and
2)top most point

Homework Equations

1) L(orbital) = m*v*r where v is the velocity of cm which is perpendicular to the given axis and r is the perpendicular distance between vector mv and and the axis.
2) L(spin) = Iw where I is the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer in the first case-Since bottom most point is stationary in pure rolling I took L(orbital) as mvr and L(spin) as I*w=(MR^2/2)*w= mvr/2. adding both since both are in a clockwise sense- I get the answer L=1.5MVR which is correct.
In the second case however- the topmost point has velocity 2v and therefore v(cm) is relatively going to v to the left w.r.t to that point. since mv is in a clockwise sense, I took L(orbital) as mvr again and Iw remains unchanged giving the same answer which is incorrect, please let me know where I'm wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the angular momentum in the frame where the top point is motionless, right? Perhaps they meant to find the angular momentum about that point in the ground frame. The question is ambiguous in that regard.

Nathanael said:
You found the angular momentum in the frame where the top point is motionless, right? Perhaps they meant to take the angular momentum about that point in the ground frame. The question is ambiguous in that regard.
yes I did...let me try it keeping that in mind

Nathanael said:
You found the angular momentum in the frame where the top point is motionless, right? Perhaps they meant to find the angular momentum about that point in the ground frame. The question is ambiguous in that regard.
I'm getting Very confused changing frames, how do I take angular momentum about a moving point w.r.t to the ground frame
Ah! I think I have a considerable logic which gives the correct answer, please confirm. So about bottom most point, L is mvr + Iw =3/2mvr
about topmost point, relative to it v(cm) is -v therefore direction of L(orbital) is reversed while L(spin) is still mvr/2...then mvr/2-mvr would give the right answer but the only problem is...in the first case radius vector points upwards and velocity to the right, using right hand screw rule gives L inwards. In the second case radius vector points downwards and velocity to the left...so L is inwards...again and should give 3/2 mvr on adding with L(spin). Is my reasoning wrong anywhere here?
if yes...I need to consider the ground frame but I have no idea how

Last edited:
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I'm getting Very confused changing frames, how do I take angular momentum about a moving point w.r.t to the ground frame
When I said “find the angular momentum about that point in the ground frame” what I mean is to take the origin to be (initially) at the top-most point but not moving with it.

If you imagine the origin as moving with the top point, then we would need to leave the ground frame to analyze it.

Nathanael said:
When I said “find the angular momentum about that point in the ground frame” what I mean is to take the origin to be (initially) at the top-most point but not moving with it.

If you imagine the origin as moving with the top point, then we would need to leave the ground frame to analyze it.
so the top most point at t=0 is origin, then the disc moves right on and that point is still our origin, right?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
so the top most point at t=0 is origin, then the disc moves right on and that point is still our origin, right?
Right. So the origin will only coincide with the top most point for the initial instant.

Again this may not be what they meant... the question is unclear about it.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Ah! yes, then the radius vector points downwards and velocity to the right, giving L upwards (in the opposite direction to first case!)
so -mvr + mvr/2 gives us the right answer. I'm guessing vector L upwards as positive or negative is a matter of convention

Nathanael said:
Right. So the origin will only coincide with the top most point for the initial instant.

Again this may not be what they meant... the question is unclear about it.
the question is indeed unclear! but I'd never have thought of it this way...you've a very nice thinking process, thank you :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Ah! yes, then the radius vector points downwards and velocity to the right, giving L upwards (in the opposite direction to first case!)
so -mvr + mvr/2 gives us the right answer. I'm guessing vector L upwards as positive or negative is a matter of convention
I just want to make sure you know that L is not “upwards” as in along gravity.. L is “coming out of the page.”

But yes, which way you say is positive is just convention. The common way is to follow the “right hand rule” but all your answers will come out the same if you use the “left hand rule” as long as you just stick to one or the other.

Nathanael said:
I just want to make sure you know that L is not “upwards” as in along gravity.. L is “coming out of the page.”

But yes, which way you say is positive is just convention. The common way is to follow the “right hand rule” but all your answers will come out the same if you use the “left hand rule” as long as you just stick to one or the other.
yes! I should have said outwards, I misspoke...Its clear now, thank you very much :D
I wanted to ask for some advice on a career in research but its late here and I have school tomorrow...so good night(/day), see you tomorrow(/today)

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I wanted to ask for some advice on a career in research but its late here and I have school tomorrow...
I am also a student, so I can’t help with that. There is a sub forum here “career/academic guidance” where you will hopefully get some excellent advice.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
good night(/day), see you tomorrow(/today)
:biggrin:

Nathanael said:
I am also a student, so I can’t help with that. There is a sub forum here “career/academic guidance” where you will hopefully get some excellent advice.:biggrin:
how do you have such a good grasp of physics then (P.S I'm just in high school)

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
how do you have such a good grasp of physics then (P.S I'm just in high school)
There is a lot I don’t know; I just try to make sure that what I do know, I really know.
Also I am in college... in a few years when you are my age I’m sure you will be at least as good!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a body around its axis. It is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the body.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is associated with rotational motion, while linear momentum is associated with linear motion. Angular momentum depends on the mass distribution of a body and its rotational speed, while linear momentum depends on the mass and velocity of an object.

3. What is the equation for calculating angular momentum?

The equation for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. How does angular momentum change in a purely rolling body?

In a purely rolling body, the angular momentum remains constant as the body rolls without slipping. This is because the rotational speed and the linear speed are directly proportional and cancel each other out in the equation for angular momentum.

5. Can the angular momentum of a purely rolling body be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a purely rolling body can be changed if an external torque is applied to the body. This can cause the body to speed up or slow down its rotation, thus changing its angular momentum.