Magnetic Field Problem! HELP NEEDED

by physicsbhelp
Tags: field, magnetic, solved
Share this thread:
physicsbhelp
Apr16-08, 06:03 PM
P: 300
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton of mass mp and charge e is in a box that contains an electric field E, and the box is located in Earth's magnetic field B. The proton moves with an initial velocity vertically upward from the surface of Earth. Assume gravity is negligible.

(a) On the diagram above, indicate the direction of the electric field inside the box so that there is no change in the trajectory of the proton while it moves upward in the box. Explain your reasoning.

(b) Determine the speed of the proton while in the box if it continues to move vertically upward. Express your answer in terms of the fields and the given quantities.
The proton now exits the box through the opening at the top.

(c) On the figure above, sketch the path of the proton after it leaves the box.

(d) Determine the magnitude of the acceleration a of the proton just after it leaves the box, in terms of the given quantities and fundamental constants.

2. Relevant equations

F=IL*B = qv*B

B= uI / 2piR u=4pi*10-7

I don't have the diagram but i will try to find a picture of it on the internet.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Kurdt
Apr18-08, 06:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
The reason nobody is answering this thread is because you haven't tried to solve any of the problems yourself.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379
physicsbhelp
Apr18-08, 07:02 PM
well that is becasue i am very confused.
i don't even know where to start, that is why i haven't posted anything, usually i do, but i just am lost!

help? :(

Kurdt
Apr18-08, 07:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Magnetic Field Problem! HELP NEEDED

Well what have you been doing? I'm sure you have some sort of notes or a book that can give you a slight clue as to what the answer to part a) should be.
physicsbhelp
Apr19-08, 09:30 PM
i should use the curved hand rule right?
EngageEngage
Apr19-08, 10:49 PM
P: 208
If the magnetic field is also in the box, you need to balance the force by the magnetic field with the force of the electric field, so the trajectory within the box is straight.To do this, you need to think about which way the force from the magnetic points initially, and how to place an electric field so the force on the charge is in the opposite direction. Once you have figured this out, you can start working with some formulas. Also, In such a problem its reasonable to neglect gravity i would think.
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 08:05 AM
thank you engageengage!

okay so for part a) the electircal field is in the postive z direction (out of the page) right?

and for part b) do i use the formula Fm=qv*B ? Where v is the velocity or in other words, the speed? (by the way, Fm=Force magnetic)

PLEASE help! thanks to all who have helped me till now. buti still need to understand how to do the rest of it.
thanks!
Doc Al
Apr20-08, 08:10 AM
Mentor
P: 41,454
Quote Quote by physicsbhelp View Post
okay so for part a) the electircal field is in the postive z direction (out of the page) right?
First figure out the direction of the magnetic force on the proton. (You'll need to use the right hand rule.)
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 08:22 AM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
First figure out the direction of the magnetic force on the proton. (You'll need to use the right hand rule.)
well if i use the right hand rule, the magnetic force is in the -x direction (to the left).

is that correct?
Doc Al
Apr20-08, 08:30 AM
Mentor
well if i use the right hand rule, the magnetic force is in the -x direction (to the left).

is that correct?
Good! So which way must the electric force act in order to cancel out the magnetic force? So which way must the electric field point?
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 08:34 AM
in order to cancel the magnetic force, the electric field must act in the positive x direction.

so the elctric field should point in the positive z direction?
Hootenanny
Apr20-08, 08:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
so the elctric field should point in the positive z direction?
Now why would you say that? How does the electric field relate to the force experienced by a charged particle?
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 09:12 AM
do they attract each other?
Doc Al
Apr20-08, 09:18 AM
Mentor
do they attract each other?

You need to understand how to find the force on a charge due to both electric and magnetic fields. Look it up in your textbook.
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 09:18 AM
we don't have a textbook.
physicsbhelp
Apr20-08, 09:20 AM
can someone explain to me "how to find the force on a charge due to both electric and magnetic fields. " ????? Please?
Doc Al
Mentor
we don't have a textbook.
Say what? What do you have?
Hootenanny
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
can someone explain to me "how to find the force on a charge due to both electric and magnetic fields. " ????? Please?
If you haven't got a textbook, read your class notes.

Edit: Sorry Doc, didn't see you there.

Register to reply