Work Done by an Induced Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the induced electric field and its relationship to the work done on a proton moving outside of a magnetic field. The answer for part (c) being 0 J is questioned and deemed incorrect, as the induced electric field does have a nonzero work when the proton is moved counterclockwise. It is explained that this work is positive because the displacement is in the same direction as the electric field line, and the induced electric field opposes the proton's movement, reducing its kinetic energy. This is in contrast to the given answer in the book.
KC374
Homework Statement
Over a region of radius R, there is a spatially uniform magnetic field 𝐁⃗ . (See below.) At 𝑡=0, 𝐵=1.0T, after which it decreases at a constant rate to zero in 30 s. (a) What is the electric field in the regions where 𝑟≤𝑅 and 𝑟≥𝑅 during that 30-s interval? (b) Assume that 𝑅=10.0cm. How much work is done by the electric field on a proton that is carried once clock wise around a circular path of radius 5.0 cm? (c) How much work is done by the electric field on a proton that is carried once counterclockwise around a circular path of any radius 𝑟≥𝑅?
Relevant Equations
##W = \oint q \vec E \cdot d \vec l##

##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec l = \frac {d\Phi_m} {dt}##
I have drawn a picture of what the induced electric field will look like, and I have determined its magnitude both within and outside of the magnetic field. I was able to get the right answer for part (b) with this information, but I don't understand why the answer for part (c) is 0 J. It implies that one of the components in the work equation need to be zero in order to yeild W = 0 J. I know that the work done by an electrostatic field over a closed path is zero because it is a conservative vector field, but I can't use that fact here since the induced electric field is non-conservative and does net work. What then is the reason why the induced electric field does no work in moving a proton outside the magnetic field counterclockwise one revolution?

Attachments

• Induced Electric Fields.jpg
    Induced Electric Fields.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you that the work done by E will be nonzero for both r < R and r > R. I think the answer of 0 for part (c) is wrong.

Likes etotheipi and KC374
I was thinking that too. The work done by the induced electric field is positive when the proton is moved counterclockwise because the displacement is in the same direction as the electric field line. If the proton was moved clockwise, then the work would be negative, not zero, since the displacement is in the opposite direction. In other words, the induced electric field opposes the movement of the proton, reducing its kinetic energy. That makes sense as opposed to the answer given by the book.

Likes TSny

1. What is "Work Done by an Induced Electric Field"?

"Work Done by an Induced Electric Field" refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to an object by an induced electric field. This work is typically measured in joules and is a result of the electric field causing a displacement of the object.

2. How is the work done by an induced electric field calculated?

The work done by an induced electric field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the object is displaced in the direction of the electric field. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the magnitude of the electric field, and d is the displacement of the object.

3. What factors affect the work done by an induced electric field?

The work done by an induced electric field is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the distance the object is displaced, and the angle between the electric field and the direction of displacement. Additionally, the presence of other electric charges in the vicinity can also affect the work done.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the work done?

The direction of the electric field is important in determining the direction of the work done. If the electric field and the direction of displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative. If the electric field and the direction of displacement are perpendicular, no work will be done.

5. What are some real-life applications of work done by an induced electric field?

One common application of work done by an induced electric field is in generators, where mechanical energy is converted into electrical energy through the use of induced electric fields. Another example is in electric motors, where electrical energy is converted into mechanical energy through the use of induced electric fields. Additionally, work done by induced electric fields is also important in the functioning of transformers and electromagnetic induction devices.