Electric field in nonmagnetic material given a magnetic field

PeterV
Homework Statement
Electric field from magnetic field
Relevant Equations
H = 50⋅exp(−100⋅x)⋅cos(2π⋅10⁹⋅t − 200⋅x)⋅ŷ
Hello, I am stuck on a problem that I don't quite understand, which looks like this:

"Given a nonmagnetic material with the magnetic field

H = 50exp(−100⋅x)cos(2π10⁹⋅t − 200⋅x)ŷ

determine the electric field strength E"

I don't understand how I am supposed to find the solution for this problem;
I have tried using Faraday's Law, but this only gives me some weird curl vectors that give me meaningless solutions, like partial derivatives of constants and things like that, and I cannot find any relationship between these fields that actually allow me to solve for E in a sensible way.
What is it that I am missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good exercise to figure out, whether this problem is complete, i.e., if you can reconstruct the electromagnetic field ##(\vec{E},\vec{B})## from only the given information.

First of all, you should correct the given formula, which is inacceptable, because there are dimensionful quantities in exp and cos, and the argument of the latter adds a time to a length.

Last but not least: It's way more convenient to work with symbols first and only at the very end put numbers (or physical quantities with the correction dimensions!).

Likes berkeman

1. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in nonmagnetic materials?

The electric and magnetic fields in nonmagnetic materials are closely related. When a magnetic field is applied to a nonmagnetic material, it induces an electric field in the material. This is known as the electromagnetic induction effect.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the electric field in nonmagnetic materials?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the strength of the induced electric field in nonmagnetic materials. The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the induced electric field will be.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in nonmagnetic materials when a magnetic field is applied?

The direction of the induced electric field in nonmagnetic materials is perpendicular to the direction of the applied magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field and the fingers curl in the direction of the induced electric field.

4. Can the electric field in nonmagnetic materials be controlled by changing the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength and direction of the electric field in nonmagnetic materials can be controlled by changing the strength and direction of the applied magnetic field. This is the basis for many technologies, such as transformers and electric motors.

5. Are there any materials that do not exhibit an electric field when a magnetic field is applied?

Yes, there are materials known as superconductors that do not exhibit an electric field when a magnetic field is applied. This is due to the unique properties of superconductors, which allow them to conduct electricity with zero resistance.