Register to reply

David Blaine - 17 min breath hold

by Alfi
Tags: blaine, breath, david, hold
Share this thread:
Alfi
May1-08, 07:30 AM
P: 151
Is it physically possible to hold a breath that long?

and live?

David Blaine sets new record on Oprah. 17 min 4 secs.

I'm skeptical.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Greg Bernhardt
May1-08, 08:36 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
Here is some of the youtube video. Apparently the GB of world records was near that time too, so I guess it's possible.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A_BjAijqag8
Alfi
May1-08, 09:33 AM
If he wasn't known for his magic and his illusions, I would have less doubt.

17 min is a long time.
I've read up and it sure as hell seems legit, but I , ... damn that's a long time.

humanino
May1-08, 09:43 AM
P: 2,828
David Blaine - 17 min breath hold

Quote Quote by Alfi View Post
If he wasn't known for his magic and his illusions, I would have less doubt.

17 min is a long time.
I've read up and it sure as hell seems legit, but I , ... damn that's a long time.
I was very doubtful at first, also because he is a magician. But it seems that this is not his first attempt at all. Besides, you must realize that he took pure oxigen for about half an hour before. So this does not compare to other records without such pure oxygen taking, which are limited to less than 8 minutes (different world record).
Greg Bernhardt
May1-08, 09:47 AM
Admin
This audio clip is really interesting, it's Penn and Chris Angel discussing Blaine.
http://www.pennfans.net/radio_show_a...2006.05.08.mp3
Alfi
May1-08, 09:58 AM
sadly the link leads to nothing connected to Blaine or I missed it.
Greg Bernhardt
May1-08, 10:02 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Alfi View Post
sadly the link leads to nothing connected to Blaine or I missed it.
http://www.pennfans.net/view/Audio_A...ow.2006.05.08/

then click download mp3 at the bottom
Alfi
May1-08, 10:19 AM
got it
Thank you. long listen. I tried to hold my breath. :)

Stupid retard! hehehe said with respect. LOL
Slightly off the topic, but nice background to the person.
I like his street stuff but

can a human do this? Is it real or illusion? 17 min is a very long time.
f95toli
May2-08, 06:31 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
Well, several people have mananged more than 16 minutes in the past (mostly free divers, they tend to be very good at holding their breath), so 17 minutes is presumably also possible.
My guess is that someone will break this record within the next few months.
Greg Bernhardt
May2-08, 06:43 PM
Admin
Chris Angel says it's fake. Claims he did the trick several years ago and "held" his breath for 24hrs.
russ_watters
May2-08, 07:24 PM
Mentor
P: 22,243
It is difficult to fake something if there are observers with you on the stage. Anyway, Blaine is known for doing real stunts. I believe he did this. Here's a link that discusses it: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...736834,00.html
turbo
May2-08, 08:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
People, if you have a thin tube threaded up your anus and and up your digestive tract and pushed down into your lungs, you can probably stay underwater for a very long time, as long as you're getting a steady supply of oxygen. I suspect trickery, not physical capability.
Moonbear
May2-08, 09:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Considering that 5 min without breathing is the generally accepted cut off for high risk of brain death, 17 min without some trick seems highly implausible. David Blaine is a well-known illusionist, so there probably is some sort of trick to this (though I'm giving a big "ICK" to turbo's suggestion ). I tried watching for any signs of movement in the video clip, but it was rather short to determine (how many times did he raise his arms? I'm wondering if that was a cover for taking a breath).

Can those claiming that others have reached 16 min before support that with any sort of credible reference?
amz8601
May2-08, 09:50 PM
P: 15
i once held my breath for 30 seconds in our local swimming pool....so maybe he did do it....YEH GO DAVID GO DAVID!!
f95toli
May3-08, 09:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Can those claiming that others have reached 16 min before support that with any sort of credible reference?
I am not sure how credible it is, but one example:
http://www.apneamania.com/code/world...pr&specID=amap

The discipline is known as "static apnea with pure oxygen". I saw a documentary about the former world record holder, Peter Colat, on Discovery a while back (at least I think it was him). Note that most of these guys are not "normal", their ability to hold their breath being a combination of genetics and a lot of training; meaning it is hard to say what is really plausible.
The record is without oxygen is over 9 minutes which for normal people would probably cause permanent brain damage.

For the record: In my view these guys are all crazy.

Edit: Using Google Scholar I found this paper (free access)
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.or...1/16602257.pdf
Alfi
May3-08, 10:46 AM
Crazy ! hehehe - sure, for a given value of crazy.

So, some say fake, some say plausible.

Can a definitive answer be determined?
Does illusion fake out physiology? And the World record people?

I didn't watch. I figured cameras would be nothing more than adding to the illusion.
Or stunt.
but what was it?
rizzy
May3-08, 02:54 PM
P: 2
This is amazing.
_Mayday_
May3-08, 03:27 PM
P: 815
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Considering that 5 min without breathing is the generally accepted cut off for high risk of brain death, 17 min without some trick seems highly implausible. David Blaine is a well-known illusionist, so there probably is some sort of trick to this (though I'm giving a big "ICK" to turbo's suggestion ). I tried watching for any signs of movement in the video clip, but it was rather short to determine (how many times did he raise his arms? I'm wondering if that was a cover for taking a breath).

You raise an interesting point there MB. Okay, I am going to make an attempt to be a biologist, but forgive me if it goes horribly wrong!

Would inhaling pure oxygen for half an hour alter the concentration of haemoglobin in the blood, or is this too short a period, maybe I am missing the point of the pure oxygen!? If so then would this not increase his ability to hold his breath? Surely training at high altitudes, which is known to increase the haemoglobin concentration also play a vital role in holding your breath? Is this not what some top athletes do?

Anyway, that aside, I have sound an interesting link. It goes over how to hold your breath for long times, using Blaine as an example. it also says that it is not uncommon for people to hold their breath over the 5 minutes you have said!

BBC NEWS

_Mayday_

Register to reply