Guidance on Physics Extended Project Qualification

In summary, a student has been selected to participate in an extended project qualification (EPQ) at school and is struggling to come up with a suitable topic in the field of physics. They have considered topics such as time travel, determinism, and the theories of Einstein, but are open to new suggestions. The project requires in-depth research and analysis, but the student is limited by their age. Some potential topics suggested include the impact of knowledge of the nucleus on medical imaging and radiation therapy techniques.
TomPhysics
Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum as this is my first post. Essentially, I have been selected to participate in an extended project qualification (EPQ) at school whereby we must complete a "Critical and Evaluative" 5000 word essay on absolutely any topic of our choice. I want to study Physics at University and thus I have chosen to write about a particular topic or area of debate in Physics.

However, I am struggling to come up with a title that fits the criteria as it is extremely hard to evaluate something in a scientific field such as physics whereby the majority of things published of interest are beyond my knowledge. A few possible questions/ideas i have pondered include:

-To what extent could time travel be considered a plausibility in the future?
-To what extent does Quantum Mechanics render determinism obsolete? (I thought this was too difficult)
- Einstein: Does The theory of Special Relativity or that of The Photoelectric Effect hold more significance? (I am very fond of this topic but the title is not brilliant).
- Something related to the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics

So now I ask, could someone who is fairly experienced or just has good ideas concerning my potential EPQ ideas point me in the right direction or offer new suggestion on possible topics I could cover which allow for critical essay analysis (i.e arguments for and against which lead to a conclusion) ?

The whole project is essentially the essay plus documentation of all our research (which takes up the largest proportion of the project) and so to an extent I am supposed to be doing pretty in depth research but please bare in mind I am 17 (although ideally we are aiming to research basic undergrad topics) and so certain things will be out of my reach.

Thanks a lot in advance, all thoughts are welcomed with open arms.

something a bit more down to Earth perhaps eg;

how has knowledge of the nucleus changed medical imaging techniques

or

how has knowledge of the nucleus changed radiation therapy techniques

1. What is the Physics Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)?

The Physics EPQ is an optional research project that students can undertake in addition to their regular physics studies. It allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth and develop their research and critical thinking skills.

2. Who is eligible to complete a Physics EPQ?

The Physics EPQ is typically offered to students in their final year of high school or in their first year of college. It is open to students who have a strong interest in physics and are willing to commit to an independent research project.

3. How is the Physics EPQ assessed?

The Physics EPQ is assessed through a written report and a presentation. The report should be between 5000-8000 words and should demonstrate the student's research and analysis skills. The presentation should showcase the student's ability to communicate their findings effectively.

4. What are some examples of topics that students can choose for their Physics EPQ?

Topics for the Physics EPQ can vary greatly, but some examples include investigating the physics of roller coasters, exploring the properties of superconductors, or analyzing the effects of climate change on the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How can the Physics EPQ benefit students?

The Physics EPQ can benefit students in several ways. It allows them to develop their research and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many fields. It also gives students the opportunity to explore a topic they are passionate about and can help them stand out in college applications or job interviews.