Radius of Curvature

by danago
Tags: curvature, radius
Share this thread:
danago
May4-08, 05:31 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,125
A particle is fired into the air with an initial velocity of 60m/s at an angle of 54 degrees from the ground. At time t=5.443, what is the radius of curvature of the path travelled by the particle?

I started by coming up with a vector equation for the path travelled by the particle, using the point of launch as the reference point.

[tex]
\overrightarrow r = (60t\cos 54)\widehat{\underline i } + (60t\sin 54 - 0.5g^2 )\widehat{\underline j }
[/tex]

The way i thought to approach this problem was to consider a circle which closely approximates the curve at the given instant.

For an infinitesimal change in time dt, the velocity along the path is given by:

[tex]
v = r\frac{{d\theta }}{{dt}}
[/tex]

I thought that perhaps if i could calculate the speed along the path v and the angular velocity, then i could use those to calculate the radius of curvature at that instant. I am able to calculate the speed easily, but not so sure about the angular velocity.

Am i on the right track, or should i be taking a different approach?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
HallsofIvy
May4-08, 07:14 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Looks okay to me. You don't need speed or angular velocity: curvature is a purely "geometric" property. There are formulas for finding curvature- do you know any?

If not what you are looking for is a circle passing through the same point, with the same tangent (first derivative) and same second derivative as this curve. Finding that will give you the radius of curvature and then the curvature.
danago
May5-08, 02:44 AM
PF Gold
I managed to come up with

[tex]
\rho = \frac{{v^3 }}{{v_x g}} = \frac{{(v_x ^2 + v_y ^2 )^{3/2} }}{{v_x g}}
[/tex]

where vx/y is the initial velocity in the corrosponding direction. Does that look on track for the radius of curvature?

HallsofIvy
May5-08, 06:03 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Radius of Curvature

Well, the orginal formula you gave for the trajectory didn't have vx or vy so I don't know.

However, one other thing you should think about- did you write the original formula correctly? I didn't notice when I replied before- I was assuming the trajectory must be a parabola- but what you wrote was
[tex]\overrightarrow r = (60t\cos 54)\widehat{\underline i } + (60t\sin 54 - 0.5g^2 )\widehat{\underline j }[/tex]
That's linear in t: that trajectory is a straight line which has curvature 0 at all points! I assume that "-0.5 g2" was supposed to be "-0.5g t2".
danago
May5-08, 10:42 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Well, the orginal formula you gave for the trajectory didn't have vx or vy so I don't know.

However, one other thing you should think about- did you write the original formula correctly? I didn't notice when I replied before- I was assuming the trajectory must be a parabola- but what you wrote was
[tex]\overrightarrow r = (60t\cos 54)\widehat{\underline i } + (60t\sin 54 - 0.5g^2 )\widehat{\underline j }[/tex]
That's linear in t: that trajectory is a straight line which has curvature 0 at all points! I assume that "-0.5 g2" was supposed to be "-0.5g t2".
Oops yep youre right. I missed a 't' there. It should be a parabola.

Anyway heres my final equation and evaluation for the radius of curvature:
[tex]
\rho = \frac{{((v_0 \cos \theta )^2 + (v_o \sin \theta - gt)^2 )^{3/2} }}{{gv_0 \cos \theta }} = \frac{{[(60\cos 54)^2 + (60\sin 54 - 9.81(5.443))^2 ]^{3/2} }}{{(9.81)(60\cos 54)}} \approx 130.4m

[/tex]

Does that look about right?

Register to reply