Instantaneous Acceleration Given Equation for Velocity

amandela
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
This is from an old exam.

The velocity of a particle moving along a straight line is v = 4 + 0.5 t. What is the instantaneous acceleration at t=2?

The solution is supposedly 2 because a = dv/dt = t. But I thought dv/dt here would be 0.5. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Where are you seeing a solution of 2? dv/dt for that equation is indeed 0.5 if you've written the equation correctly.

Likes amandela
amandela said:
v = 4 + 0.5 t
Should this be ##v= 4 + 0.5 t^2##??

Likes Steve4Physics, PeroK, berkeman and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Where are you seeing a solution of 2? dv/dt for that equation is indeed 0.5 if you've written the equation correctly.
Thank you. I think I lost an exponent!

Orodruin said:
Should this be ##v= 4 + 0.5 t^2##??
Yes, I went back and checked again b/c the displacement was wrong, too, and I missed the exponent. Thank you!

Likes WWGD and berkeman
amandela said:
This is from an old exam.

The velocity of a particle moving along a straight line is v = 4 + 0.5 t^2
What's your opinion about the dimensionality of that equation? The lefthand side is a velocity and the righthand side is a number plus a time squared. Is that valid?

PeroK said:
What's your opinion about the dimensionality of that equation? The lefthand side is a velocity and the righthand side is a number plus a time squared. Is that valid?
In my opinion the equation is only valid for a set of units where the appropriate conversion constants all turn out to be equal to one.

There should be units on the ##4## and units on the ##0.5##. The computed result would then have units for the ##v##. Also units for the given value of ##t = 2##. The first derivative of that would then have units for the acceleration.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Lower level textbooks often introduce dimensionless quantities such as ”velocity ##v## m/s or simply do not use units at all.

Likes amandela