Constant acceleration and radius of curvature

In summary: I will try to write the equation of motion and justify my guess.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the normal acceleration of a particle at any instant, which is given by an=v2/r. The minimum radius at which this occurs is when the component of velocity along the direction of acceleration becomes zero. The net acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity and has a magnitude of 2m/s2, with a speed of 4m/s. The radius is calculated to be 8m/s, and the validity of this approach is questioned. The suggestion is made to write the equation of motion and justify the guess.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

radius.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal acceleration of the particle at any instant is given by an = v2/r . v is the speed at any time and r is the radius of curvature . Minimum radius will occur when ratio v2/an is minimum .

I think this will occur when the component of velocity along the direction of acceleration becomes zero .

Component of velocity perpendicular to acceleration = 4m/s remains unchanged

At this instant the acceleration vector is perpendicular to the velocity .The net acceleration is the normal acceleration .

And magnitude of normal acceleration = 2m/s2 and speed = 4m/s .

Radius = 8m/s

Is it correct ?

Attachments

• radius.png
    radius.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,950
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
The normal acceleration of the particle at any instant is given by an=v2/r . v is the speed
No, where v is the tangential speed.
Edit: not sure that's right either.
Jahnavi said:
I think this will occur when the component of velocity along the direction of acceleration becomes zero
Perhaps, but you need a better reason for your answer than a guess.

Last edited:
Then , how should I approach this problem ?

Jahnavi said:
Then , how should I approach this problem ?
You could write the equation of motion. Or see if you can justify your guess.

haruspex said:
Or see if you can justify your guess.

Please help me do that .

Jahnavi said:
Please help me do that .
I cannot think of a way. I would just get going with the equations.

Ok

Last edited:

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is a type of motion where the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How is constant acceleration related to the radius of curvature?

Constant acceleration and the radius of curvature are related through the centripetal force acting on an object in circular motion. The centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its velocity squared, divided by the radius of curvature.

3. Can an object have constant acceleration and still change direction?

Yes, an object can have constant acceleration and still change direction. This is seen in circular motion, where the direction of the velocity vector changes continuously, but the magnitude of the velocity remains constant.

4. How is the radius of curvature calculated in circular motion with constant acceleration?

The radius of curvature in circular motion with constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula: r = v2 / a, where r is the radius of curvature, v is the velocity, and a is the acceleration.

5. What is the significance of constant acceleration and radius of curvature in real-world applications?

Constant acceleration and radius of curvature are important in many real-world applications, such as roller coasters, car racing, and satellite orbits. They help engineers and scientists understand and predict the motion of objects and design systems that can handle these types of motion.