Register to reply

Removing ink from paper

by OrbitalPower
Tags: paper, removing
Share this thread:
OrbitalPower
May7-08, 07:01 PM
P: 88
In this case, on the top corner of the book.

I occasionally buy some of my books used, and they have stickers and stamps on them. I generally don't mind but this one is on the top of the book when the book is closed (on the top of the page), and it is some ink stamp.

I tried removing it with water, and I even tried to sand it off but it doesn't seem to want to budge. Does anybody know a good solution that would get this off?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Dr Transport
May7-08, 09:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
try hydrogen peroxide, or one of the oxy- cleaners.
OrbitalPower
May7-08, 09:44 PM
I tried Hydrogen peroxide and Isopropyl alcohol and it won't budge. I guess it's just the color of the paper now.

Moonbear
May7-08, 09:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Removing ink from paper

You get a box of matches, a propane torch...um, nevermind.
Evo
May7-08, 10:10 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
Bleach will remove ink, but it will leave a yellow discoloration.

Dab a q-tip in bleach and touch a spot of the ink with it and see what happens.
rewebster
May7-08, 10:12 PM
P: 880
It depends on what type of ink it is. I've been restoring artwork (prints, paintings, etc.) for about thirty years now--mostly part time. There are different types of ink. Some dissolve in different types of alcohol (iso, denatured, grain), some in kerosene, acetone, turpentine---some even in water, or xylene even. So there are a few to try--some need precautions to work with. If the stamp bothers you, take it to a restorer, or maybe your chemistry teacher.

----

it mostly depends on the original solvent in the ink and the original vehicle in the ink (its similar to the solvents and vehicles in paints).

-----

and, yes, you can try bleach then rinse/soak really well ---if that doesn't work also try ammonia then rinse well----you may have to combine some of the above even (more than likely)
rewebster
May7-08, 11:39 PM
when I mention 'combine' --don't combine ammonia and bleach (bad--very baaad)----what I meant was you may have to combine working with one first then another with drying step in between. If you aren't careful though, you may end up with pulp. It takes quite a bit of experience to do a 'good' job.
Danger
May7-08, 11:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
How about a laser tuned to the absorbtion frequency of the ink? That seems to work reasonably well for tattoo removal.
GCT
May8-08, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
Acetone is a wonder for most types of ink and yes it works at times where isopropyl alcohol is not compatible. You may be able to obtain one at Lowe's or at Home Depot.
Moonbear
May8-08, 02:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by GCT View Post
Acetone is a wonder for most types of ink and yes it works at times where isopropyl alcohol is not compatible. You may be able to obtain one at Lowe's or at Home Depot.
Or go to any local drugstore or grocery store and find nail polish remover (just avoid the ones that say "non-acetone" on them). It may have other stuff in it as perfumes and such, but it's strong enough and cheap enough without having to hunt through home improvement stores for pure acetone.
OrbitalPower
May8-08, 03:39 PM
Hmmm... Thanks. I guess I'll try acetone and then maybe bleach if worse comes to worse. It's actually a library stamp on the top of the pages so I thought it'd be easy to remove.
rewebster
May8-08, 03:51 PM
Quote Quote by OrbitalPower View Post
Hmmm... Thanks. I guess I'll try acetone and then maybe bleach if worse comes to worse. It's actually a library stamp on the top of the pages so I thought it'd be easy to remove.
what?!!!
Evo
May8-08, 03:54 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
Quote Quote by OrbitalPower View Post
I'm going to post a picture in a second showing results with ball point pen, which IMHO, is the hardest ink to remove. Regular ink will be completely removed by bleach, ball point is left so faint as to barely see it. I've been using regular bleach to remove ink for years.

the letters blea at the top - the bl was treated with a commercial ball point ink remover, the letters ea were treated with a drop of bleach.

the "ea" below that is untreated and the "ea" below that was treated with acetone.

The bleach wins.
Attached Thumbnails
ink.jpg  
rewebster
May8-08, 04:11 PM
very scientific approach, there, Evo--and I can see how and why you suggest bleach

if it was ballpoint, I'd say, go for it ---and, it may work--and if he has bleach

The first thing that I would tell him, though,.....

is to check the library, as it may be a overdue book.

ps---blea? is that, like, yuck?
Moonbear
May8-08, 04:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
is to check the library, as it may be a overdue book.
He said he got it at a booksale. I have old library books from such sales too. The libraries will sell off old books that don't get much circulation to make a little money toward buying newer books (sometimes they get a bunch donated too and sell those off as well).
rewebster
May8-08, 05:15 PM
yeah---I'm a book collector too (1500-2000). It just depends on what the 'library stamp' is and says---whether or not its has and is a 'withdrawn' stamp or 'property of' stamp.

I've bought used books before and returned them as they were still active.
Moonbear
May8-08, 05:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
yeah---I'm a book collector too (1500-2000). It just depends on what the 'library stamp' is and says---whether or not its has and is a 'withdrawn' stamp or 'property of' stamp.

I've bought used books before and returned them as they were still active.
I figure if for some reason the book really is an overdue library book, the person selling it will be buying the library a new one through overdue fines anyway, so don't worry about it. If you don't return it, you've bought it anyway.
Danger
May8-08, 05:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
He said he got it at a booksale. I have old library books from such sales too.
That's where I got my favourite 'Freddy the Pig' book (Freddy and the Ignormus).
Speaking of which... Evo, did you happen to notice how much your illustration resembles a one-eyed pig?

Register to reply