Advanced iron oxide production questions

In summary, the individual has read about iron oxide production on forums and plans on producing a larger amount for use with thermite. They have a large amount of swarf (metal saw dust) from their work in a machine shop, and have attempted to produce iron oxide using chlorox and vinegar. However, they were unable to fully dissolve the swarf and reclaim most of it. They have questions about using the electrolysis method and scaling up the reaction, as well as concerns about contamination and safety measures when handling the chemicals. They also mention wanting to remove any carbon or other waste from the iron oxide.
Eriequiet
Hi guys,
I've lurked the forums for a while and read various other iron oxide production threads But I have a few questions nobody ever brought up that I could see

Typing this up on my phone, so forgive me if autocorrect and punctuation is wacky

I plan on producing a larger amount of iron oxide, for use with thermite eventually

I would like to use what I have available for the first thermite batchs
Later on I will buy premade due to cost, but I'd like to be able to produce everything from scratchI work in a machine shop, and have a pretty large amount of swarf ( metal saw dust)
the chips average the size of a grain of sand, but are very thin and curled Over so more surface area Than a grain of sand, but much less than #0000 steel wool

The alloy is 4140 for what it's worth, my understanding is has a bit of chromium in it, Not sure if this will affect the reaction

I've already done a few small trial runs using about 1/4 cup of swarf, Using half chlorox concentrated and vinegar, produced some iron oxide, tried to filter using coffee filters, totally gummed up and failed at reclaiming most of it, so I'm not sure how much it actually produced, I salvaged about 2 teaspoons

For what it's worth, I could not get the swarf to fully disolve

I'm wondering if this is even possible

I would like to fully disolve and reclaim as much as possible, but if isn't realistic, I have enough Swarf to still get a sizeable amount even if can't get it to Fully disolve
(5 gallons of so currently)

Couple questions
First,
Is it possible to use the electrolysis method? given that it's granular in form? I assume I need electrical contact to all of the material which would be problematic

Second, I would like to do a larger batch all at once,
Say 4 cups of swarf
In my small scale the reaction was mildly exothermic, will this intensify with scale?

Third
The swarf is currently contaminated with light oil and coolant, I know I can't get most of it off by rinsing with hot water a few times and recycling the water a few times, how critical is this? Would contamination slow or limit the reaction and prevent a full disolve?

Fourth
I understand the reaction produced chlorine gas, and that it's bad
In my small scale, I used bottled water container and sealed it, it barely built up some pressure, but I released it occasionally,

Should I be releasing the gas pressure? Or would it be more efficient to not

I worry about a larger batch producing more pressure in a sealed vessel, I don't want a 3 liter bottle exploding

5th,
In my small tests, I only added about 1-1/2 cup of solution to 1/4 cup swarf, after it finished reacting, I poured off the liquid and added more solution, not sure of the reaction the second time compared to the first, it was super cold outside and it think it slowed it down

Should I pour off and add new solution when it stops or?

Sixth
To reclaim the Iron oxide, I am now considering pouring several batches into a gallon jug, letting it settle, and siphoning out the liquid and adding fresh water several times to rinse the chemicals off the iron oxide,

I don't always have good sunlight in my area and it's currently winter so I was considering using an oven Or hot plate to dry what settles after I rinse it

What would be my best Container option here? Also any risk of chlorine gasses indoors coming from the particulates while they dry? Seventh
Any advice to remove carbon or other waste?
I never saw the black film most people talk about on top of the liquid, but my first attempts at reclaiming fell apart so I could have been filtered in the original coffee filter that got pitched
Thanks for any input guys

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Eriequiet said:
Hi guys,
I've lurked the forums for a while and read various other iron oxide production threads But I have a few questions nobody ever brought up that I could see

Typing this up on my phone, so forgive me if autocorrect and punctuation is wacky

I plan on producing a larger amount of iron oxide, for use with thermite eventually

I would like to use what I have available for the first thermite batchs
Later on I will buy premade due to cost, but I'd like to be able to produce everything from scratchI work in a machine shop, and have a pretty large amount of swarf ( metal saw dust)
the chips average the size of a grain of sand, but are very thin and curled Over so more surface area Than a grain of sand, but much less than #0000 steel wool

The alloy is 4140 for what it's worth, my understanding is has a bit of chromium in it, Not sure if this will affect the reactionI've already done a few small trial runs using about 1/4 cup of swarf, Using half chlorox concentrated and vinegar, produced some iron oxide, tried to filter using coffee filters, totally gummed up and failed at reclaiming most of it, so I'm not sure how much it actually produced, I salvaged about 2 teaspoons

For what it's worth, I could not get the swarf to fully disolve

I'm wondering if this is even possible

I would like to fully disolve and reclaim as much as possible, but if isn't realistic, I have enough Swarf to still get a sizeable amount even if can't get it to Fully disolve
(5 gallons of so currently)

Couple questions
First,
Is it possible to use the electrolysis method? given that it's granular in form? I assume I need electrical contact to all of the material which would be problematic

Second, I would like to do a larger batch all at once,
Say 4 cups of swarf
In my small scale the reaction was mildly exothermic, will this intensify with scale?

Third
The swarf is currently contaminated with light oil and coolant, I know I can't get most of it off by rinsing with hot water a few times and recycling the water a few times, how critical is this? Would contamination slow or limit the reaction and prevent a full disolve?

Fourth
I understand the reaction produced chlorine gas, and that it's bad
In my small scale, I used bottled water container and sealed it, it barely built up some pressure, but I released it occasionally,

Should I be releasing the gas pressure? Or would it be more efficient to not

I worry about a larger batch producing more pressure in a sealed vessel, I don't want a 3 liter bottle exploding

5th,
In my small tests, I only added about 1-1/2 cup of solution to 1/4 cup swarf, after it finished reacting, I poured off the liquid and added more solution, not sure of the reaction the second time compared to the first, it was super cold outside and it think it slowed it down

Should I pour off and add new solution when it stops or?

Sixth
To reclaim the Iron oxide, I am now considering pouring several batches into a gallon jug, letting it settle, and siphoning out the liquid and adding fresh water several times to rinse the chemicals off the iron oxide,

I don't always have good sunlight in my area and it's currently winter so I was considering using an oven Or hot plate to dry what settles after I rinse it

What would be my best Container option here? Also any risk of chlorine gasses indoors coming from the particulates while they dry?Seventh
Any advice to remove carbon or other waste?
I never saw the black film most people talk about on top of the liquid, but my first attempts at reclaiming fell apart so I could have been filtered in the original coffee filter that got pitched
Thanks for any input guys
What do you plan to do with all of that thermite?

Just DO NOT DO THIS!

Thermite welding is something I would like to try with some of this batch, besides just demonstrating thermite in general
On a safe private Area
Only planning to produce about 2-3 pounds nothing crazy

Only going to use small amounts at a time,

I'm no stranger to thermite, I've used it before, this has just become a pet project in that I want to make a batch completely from scratch ( I'm also working making aluminum powder from some aluminum chips we have at the shop)

It's mostly just the personal satisfaction of making it from stuff we normally discard, I can easily get the components premade, but I enjoy being able to say I made something

Last edited:
This falls under the dangerous activities rule. Thread closed.

1. What is advanced iron oxide production?

Advanced iron oxide production refers to the process of creating iron oxide (also known as rust) through advanced methods, such as chemical reactions and high-pressure techniques. This results in a more pure and controlled form of iron oxide compared to traditional methods.

2. What are the benefits of advanced iron oxide production?

The benefits of advanced iron oxide production include a higher purity of the resulting iron oxide, as well as the ability to produce specific types of iron oxide with desired properties. This can be useful in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and cosmetics.

3. How is advanced iron oxide production different from traditional methods?

Traditional methods of producing iron oxide involve exposing iron to oxygen and moisture, resulting in a slow and uncontrolled formation of rust. Advanced iron oxide production uses more precise techniques to produce a purer and more consistent form of iron oxide.

4. What are the applications of advanced iron oxide production?

Advanced iron oxide production has various applications, including pigmentation in paints, coatings, and plastics, as well as in the production of magnetic tapes and catalysts. It is also used in the manufacturing of solar cells and in the medical field for MRI contrast agents.

5. Is advanced iron oxide production environmentally friendly?

Advanced iron oxide production can be more environmentally friendly compared to traditional methods, as it can reduce the amount of waste and byproducts produced. However, the overall environmental impact depends on the specific production process and the source of the iron used.