Register to reply

Explicit expressions for creation/annihilation operator of the free scalar field

Share this thread:
masudr
May22-08, 04:00 AM
P: 932
I've been trying to work my way through some of my lecture notes, and have hit this snag. (n.b. I use [itex]k_0 \equiv +\sqrt{\vec{k}^2 + m^2}[/itex])

We have
[tex]a(q) = \int d^3 x e^{iqx} \{ q_0 \phi(x) + i \pi(x) \} [/tex]
[tex]a^{\dagger}(q) = \int d^3 x e^{-iqx} \{ q_0 \phi(x) - i \pi(x) \}[/tex]

To calculate the commutation relation between these operators, we simply multiply them out as required, and substitute the canonical commutation relation between fields and their conjugate momenta.

I work through the relatively tedious steps and get

[tex][a(q),a(p)] = \int d^3 x d^3 y e^{i(qx-py)} \delta^3(\vec{x} - \vec{y}) (q_0 - p_0)[/tex]
[tex]= \int d^3 x e^{i(q-p)x} (q_0 - p_0)[/tex]
[tex]= \int d^3 x e^{i(q_0-p_0)x^0} e^{i(\vec{q}-\vec{p})\cdot\vec{x}} (q_0 - p_0)[/tex]

In my notes, the next step is to replace [itex]\vec{q}[/itex] with [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] and so get 0. However, if we integrate over x, surely we are left with a loose delta function outside an integral, which would mean that [itex][a(q),a(p)] = 0 \Leftarrow q=p[/itex] which I know is wrong.

Can anyone explain that last step? Any textbooks I've seen assume this is trivial and just go on to state the commutation relation between the creation/annihilation operators rather than calculating it.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
masudr
May22-08, 01:57 PM
P: 932
Never mind. After doing the integral, I got

[tex]
(q_0 - p_0) \delta^3(\vec{q}-\vec{p}) e^{i(q_0-p_0)t}
[/tex]

which conspires to be zero when the delta function is non-zero because of the first term in brackets, and is zero everywhere else because of the delta function.
Avodyne
May22-08, 03:27 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,205
Correct!

Register to reply