Register to reply

Diamond vs. Graphite

by arabianchick
Tags: diamond, graphite
Share this thread:
arabianchick
May24-08, 10:45 PM
P: 2
Why is diamond a poor conductor of an electric current and graphite a good conductor?

all i can come up with is that diamond is a good insulator and that the fundamental difference between graphite and diamond being that graphite molecules are flat groupings of carbon atoms while diamond molecules are tetrahedral (pyramid-shaped) groupings of carbon atoms.

can someone tell me if this is anywhere close? and help me on a bit..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Kushal
May25-08, 02:14 AM
P: 440
look carefully at the structure of both diamond and graphite. find out how many covalent bonds are there for each carbon atom in both diamond and graphite.

what can you deduce?
The_ArtofScience
May26-08, 03:30 PM
P: 83
hint: delocalized pi bonds

EvilSpanner
Feb10-10, 02:41 PM
P: 1
Diamond vs. Graphite

Quote Quote by arabianchick View Post
Why is diamond a poor conductor of an electric current and graphite a good conductor?

all i can come up with is that diamond is a good insulator and that the fundamental difference between graphite and diamond being that graphite molecules are flat groupings of carbon atoms while diamond molecules are tetrahedral (pyramid-shaped) groupings of carbon atoms.

can someone tell me if this is anywhere close? and help me on a bit..
Graphite and diamond are both made from carbon, which has 4 electrons in it's outer shell. Diamond has four bonds, meaning there are no free electrons. Graphite has three bonds giving it a free electron which alows the current of electricity to flow. Hope this helps.

Register to reply