IB past paper, chemichal bonding

In summary, the conversation discusses various topics in chemistry, such as covalent bonding, hybridization, allotropes of carbon, and their properties. The first part explains the formation of sigma and pi bonding, as well as double and triple bonds. The second part discusses the types of hybridization present in three different molecules and how they affect their shapes. The third part talks about the Nobel Prize-winning discovery of fullerenes and compares the structures and bonding of diamond, graphite, and C60 fullerene. The conversation also touches on the rules of the forum and the importance of learning and studying on our own.
IB1
a-) In 1954 Linus Pauling was awarded the Chemistry Nobel Prize for his work on the nature of the chemical bond. Covalent bonds are one example of intramolecular bonding.
Explain the formation of the following:
i) [tex] \sigma [/tex] (sigma) bonding
ii) [tex] \pi [/tex] (pi) bonding
iii) double bonds
iv) triple bonds

b-) Atomic orbitals can mix by hybridization to form new orbitals for bonding. Identify the type of hybridization present in each of the three following molecules
Deduce and explain their shapes:
i) [tex] OF_2 [/tex]
ii) [tex] H_2 CO [/tex]
iii) C_2 H_2

c-) Three scientists shared the Chemistry Nobel Prize in 1996 for the discovery of the fullerenes. Fullerenes, like diamond and graphite, are allotropes of the element carbon.
i) State the structures of and the bonding in diamond and graphite
ii) Compare and explain the hardness and electrical conductivity of diamond and graphite
iii) Predict and explain how the hardness and electrical conductivity of C60 fullerene would compare with that of diamond and graphite.

I have already solved a-) i and ii but not iii and iv
I have solved b-) i and ii but not iii
and I couldn't solve c-) at all.

I ask members for full solutions so I can learn how to write complete proper chemistry solutions. Of course, that doesn't mean that I ask you to solve each i, ii and iii for each question.

Your help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IB1 said:
I ask members for full solutions so I can learn

You won't get this type of help here.

Why not? Aren't we here to learn and share ideas ? What kind of help I can find here?

Thank you. It seems that I was wrong, and what I asked was clearly against the rules of this forum. I do agree that every problem should not be given full solution, but instead of that a link to a similar problem with full solution may be provided as help. However, that shouldn't mean that for full solutions should never be provided (yes, I read the rules).

hmm... Maybe I should stop this rebel voice and agree with rules, and study instead.

Thank you anyways. I'll not expect from someone to give me full solutions, and I'm not going to give full solutions to anyone in the future, at least not here.

1. What types of chemical bonds are typically found in IB Chemistry past papers?

The most frequently tested chemical bonds in IB Chemistry past papers are ionic, covalent, and metallic bonds.

2. How can I identify the type of bond between two atoms?

The type of bond can be determined by the difference in electronegativity between the two atoms. If the difference is greater than 1.7, it is considered ionic. If the difference is between 0.4 and 1.7, it is covalent. If the difference is less than 0.4, it is metallic.

3. What is the difference between polar and nonpolar covalent bonds?

Polar covalent bonds occur when there is an unequal sharing of electrons between two atoms, resulting in a partial positive and partial negative charge. Nonpolar covalent bonds occur when there is equal sharing of electrons between two atoms.

4. How do intermolecular forces affect the properties of a substance?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive forces between molecules. They can affect the boiling point, melting point, and solubility of a substance. Stronger intermolecular forces result in higher boiling and melting points, and lower solubility.

5. Can you explain the concept of electronegativity and its role in chemical bonding?

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract electrons towards itself in a chemical bond. It plays a crucial role in determining the type of bond between two atoms. The higher the electronegativity difference between two atoms, the more polar the bond will be.