Electrical Conductor is in relation to heat transfer

In summary: Yes, but even if you haven't had to delve into the gory details (it would be an advanced undergraduate course to do so) yet you were asked the question so you must have been given at least a broad idea of what happens to an electromagnetic wave traveling thru a metal?
Dreebs

Homework Statement

One of the two glass panes in each window is coated with a transparent electrical conductor. Why does this coating improve the window's insulating ability?
Select one:
a. The transparent conductor is black in the infrared, with a low-temperature emissivity of almost 1.
b. Electrical conductors are good thermal insulators.
c. Little heat can flow between the two panes by thermal radiation. The transparent conductor reflects infrared light, so that the coated pane is unable to emit its own thermal radiation and the uncoated pane see a reflection of its thermal radiation.
d. The transparent conductor is a poor conductor of heat.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

C, due to the coating heat is reflected and the window itself is unable to emit large quantities of thermal radiation

Physics news on Phys.org
Think eddy current generation. But be doubtful; just a WAG.

rude man said:
Think eddy current generation. But be doubtful; just a WAG.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

How does magnetic shielding work at high frequencies with conducting (not necessarily magnetic) shields?

Dreebs said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
My hint was not very good.

So - have you studied the effects of plane e-m waves at an air-conductor interface In particular, what is the attenuation coefficient inside the conductor?

rude man said:
My hint was not very good.

So - have you studied the effects of plane e-m waves at an air-conductor interface In particular, what is the attenuation coefficient inside the conductor?

Yeah, this is super basic physics. I have a feeling you may be overthinking the question. We haven't covered any of that in class.

Dreebs said:
Yeah, this is super basic physics. I have a feeling you may be overthinking the question. We haven't covered any of that in class.
Yes, but even if you haven't had to delve into the gory details (it would be an advanced undergraduate course to do so) yet you were asked the question so you must have been given at least a broad idea of what happens to an electromagnetic wave traveling thru a metal?

1. How does an electrical conductor affect heat transfer?

An electrical conductor can affect heat transfer in two main ways. First, it can conduct heat energy through its material, allowing it to transfer heat from one location to another. Second, when an electrical current is passed through the conductor, it can generate heat through resistance, increasing the overall heat transfer in the system.

2. Does the type of material used in an electrical conductor affect its ability to transfer heat?

Yes, the type of material used in an electrical conductor can greatly impact its ability to transfer heat. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, are more effective at conducting heat than materials with low thermal conductivity, such as plastics.

3. Can an electrical conductor be used to control the amount of heat transferred in a system?

Yes, an electrical conductor can be used to control the amount of heat transferred in a system. By adjusting the electrical current passing through the conductor, the amount of heat generated and transferred can be regulated.

4. Is there a limit to how much heat an electrical conductor can transfer?

Yes, there is a limit to how much heat an electrical conductor can transfer. This limit is determined by the material properties of the conductor, such as its thermal conductivity and electrical resistance, as well as external factors such as temperature and current flow.

5. How can an electrical conductor be used in heat transfer applications?

An electrical conductor can be used in a variety of heat transfer applications. Some common examples include heating elements in appliances, electric stoves and ovens, and electric blankets. It can also be used in thermal management systems, such as in computer processors and electronic devices, to dissipate heat and prevent overheating.