Register to reply

Speed of Light. What is c? Why use the letter c'?

by artie
Tags: None
Share this thread:
artie
Jun9-08, 04:27 PM
P: n/a
In the equation E=mc2

E is energy

m
is mass

What is c? I know that c is the speed of light, but why use the letter c? What does c stand for?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
nicksauce
Jun9-08, 04:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,275
Often in physics a symbol doesn't stand for anything. For example, Momentum=p, Magnetic Field=B... As far as I know, the "c" is completely arbitrary.
artie
Jun9-08, 04:47 PM
Quote Quote by nicksauce View Post
Often in physics a symbol doesn't stand for anything. For example, Momentum=p, Magnetic Field=B... As far as I know, the "c" is completely arbitrary.
That's a little strange in this case, because E and m do match up with Energy and mass! The only thing I can think of is c is constant.

Doc Al
Jun9-08, 05:30 PM
Mentor
P: 41,318
Speed of Light. What is c? Why use the letter c'?

I believe that c was chosen for celeritas, Latin for "speed". (But c for "constant" works too.) Read: Why is c the symbol for the speed of light?
AzonicZeniths
Jun9-08, 05:31 PM
P: 69
'c' is completely arbitrary, probably not having anything to do with 'constant' as there are several constants in the universe. 'c' is just another physical constant, just like a mathematical variable.
AzonicZeniths
Jun9-08, 05:32 PM
P: 69
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
I believe that c was chosen for celeritas, Latin for "speed". (But c for "constant" works too.) Read: Why is c the symbol for the speed of light?
^^^^^^^^^^^^

or that haha
Mapes
Jun9-08, 06:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
I saw a cartoon once of Einstein at a blackboard where he had written E=ma2 and crossed it out, then wrote E=mb2 and crossed that out...
artie
Jun9-08, 07:12 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
Excellent!

Since Einstein was German, I had tried to find a German word for "light" that begins with c but it makes more sense that the word would be rooted either in Latin or Greek.

Thanks
malawi_glenn
Jun10-08, 07:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
I saw a cartoon once of Einstein at a blackboard where he had written E=ma2 and crossed it out, then wrote E=mb2 and crossed that out...
that is just a joke.
rbj
Jun10-08, 11:59 PM
P: 2,251
Quote Quote by Mapes View Post
wow, i thought i saw that one too, but it had different powers for c. like E=mc0, E=mc1, and finally E=mc2. maybe there was a crossed out E=mc3 on the blackboard.

i guess it's a way to do physics; guess (and see if experiment supports your guess). about E=mc2, no other power would be dimensionally correct if energy and mass are measured in units that do not define c to be one (or dimensionless).
malawi_glenn
Jun11-08, 02:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Hmm we have derived E = mc^2 at school, so I dont think Einstein just "guessed" that solution.. ;-)
Adonis
Jun12-08, 05:28 AM
P: 22
as we know c is the absoulte speed (speed of light)
and as i think c^2 is the greatest constant in the physics
i dont know exactly how Eisntein found it...
malawi_glenn
Jun12-08, 05:36 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
why is not c^88643 bigger?

Just google "derivation of E=mc^2" or search in textbooks about special relativity
Adonis
Jun12-08, 05:45 AM
Quote Quote by malawi_glenn View Post

Just google "derivation of E=mc^2" or search in textbooks about special relativity
i said i dont know how Einstein found this equation....
when E=mc^2 apllicated on the particles...it was right
so the scientists has no reason to change c^2 to c^5345345345
Adonis
Jun13-08, 12:51 PM
Quote Quote by malawi_glenn View Post

my own explanation why E=mc^2

E means Energy, measured by Joule
we all now that F=ma and E=Fr =mar(r is the distance)
so Joule=Newton*Meter=Kg*Meter*sec^-2
for E=mc^2 --> Joule=Kg*(Meter*sec^-2)^2
anybody agree with me??
malawi_glenn
Jun13-08, 01:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Adonis View Post
my own explanation why E=mc^2

E means Energy, measured by Joule
we all now that F=ma and E=Fr =mar(r is the distance)
so Joule=Newton*Meter=Kg*Meter*sec^-2
for E=mc^2 --> Joule=Kg*(Meter*sec^-2)^2
anybody agree with me??
That is just an argument from units, why couldn't it be: E = 8*mc^2 ?

You must do the full derivation.

And WHY is c^2 the biggest constant in physics?

i) There are formulas which have c^6 .. aren't that a bigger constant?

ii) c is the constant, c^2 = c*c, i.e the constant c is multiplied with another constant c ...

iii) c is not a real constant, it also have a unit: Lenght/time, so c^2 has units lenght^2/time^2

iv) How can we compare e.g G with c? They have different nummerical values, but they have also different units. Also, you can easy come up with a unit system where G has a bigger nummerical value than c. It is like comparing colour with sound.

/Glenn - 1 term from Masters degree in physics.
HallsofIvy
Jun13-08, 01:59 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
I'm still unclear as to what the question is! You say you know that "E" is "energy" and "m" is "mass" and understand that "c" represents the speed of light. Are you really only asking why the letter "c" is used for "speed of light?

That was not original with Einstein. Maxwell had already used "c" for the speed of light in his derivation of the wave equation from his equations for the Electric and Magnetic fields and I suspect it had been used that way before. My understanding is that it is from "celerity" which is Latin for "speed".
FNL
Jun14-08, 03:39 AM
P: 13
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
I'm still unclear as to what the question is! You say you know that "E" is "energy" and "m" is "mass" and understand that "c" represents the speed of light. Are you really only asking why the letter "c" is used for "speed of light?

That was not original with Einstein. Maxwell had already used "c" for the speed of light in his derivation of the wave equation from his equations for the Electric and Magnetic fields and I suspect it had been used that way before. My understanding is that it is from "celeritas" which is Latin for "speed".
yes that's right

Register to reply