Is CH3OCH3 Polar and Does XeF2 Have Polarity?

• Thread starter osaka
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of H bonding in CH3OCH3 and the polarity of XeF2. The expert explains that H-Bonding requires an OH or NH group, which is not present in CH3OCH3. They also mention that XeF2 is non-polar due to its linear molecular geometry. The expert suggests using a chemistry book from a school library to quickly solve similar problems.
osaka
Does CH3OCH3 has any H bond between it's molecule?
(It should has H bond but in my book it has no one ):confused:

And does XeF2 has polarity?
(Actaully,my book it has no one.again)
That's why I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
H-Bonding is referring to "Intermolecular bonding", which is actually not a bond but a force that attracts the molecules together. There would need to be an OH group or even an NH group in order to have this. Water is a perfect example of H-Bonding.

The molecule you mentioned does not have the possibility of this type of bonding.

Nautica

Thanks,I understood it.
And what about polarity of XeF2.

osaka said:
Does CH3OCH3 has any H bond between it's molecule?
(It should has H bond but in my book it has no one ):confused:

And does XeF2 has polarity?
(Actaully,my book it has no one.again)
That's why I'm not sure.

no CH3OCH3 does not have any H bonding in it

and XeF2 is non-polar as it have 3 lone pair and 2 attachments its molecular geometery is linear

Thanks a lot.

I think a book on Chemistry from your school library can help you quickly solve problems like that...

What does "I'm not exactly sure about" mean?

"I'm not exactly sure about" is a phrase commonly used to express uncertainty or lack of knowledge about a certain topic or situation. It implies that the speaker is not completely confident or knowledgeable about the subject at hand.

Why do scientists use the phrase "I'm not exactly sure about"?

Scientists use this phrase to acknowledge the limitations of their knowledge and to avoid making false or unsupported claims. It is an honest and humble way to express uncertainty and encourage further research and investigation.

Is it okay for scientists to not be sure about something?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable for scientists to not be sure about something. In fact, it is a fundamental aspect of the scientific process to acknowledge and address uncertainty in order to gain a better understanding of the world.

How do scientists handle uncertainty in their research?

Scientists use various methods to address uncertainty in their research, such as conducting further experiments and gathering more data, seeking peer review and feedback from other scientists, and clearly stating the limitations and potential errors in their findings.

Can scientists ever be 100% sure about something?

No, scientists can never be 100% sure about something. The scientific process is based on gathering evidence and making conclusions based on the available data, but there is always a possibility for new information or discoveries that may change our understanding of a certain topic. Therefore, scientists must always remain open to new ideas and continue to question and test their findings.