Flow through Convergent-Divergent Duct

• Thread starter neostalker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary: With relief valves you'll have a coefficient of discharge from the manufacturer to account for the flow through the valve. The rule of thumb is 0.975 if I recall correctly (per ASME and API). However, the manufacturer should provide it to you. A good reference is API 520 and ASME BPV Code.
neostalker
Guys, i would like to ask some opinion from u all. About the convergent-divergent duct, it is horizontal flow and the water is incompressible.

So, based on Bernoulli's equations, elevation and density is the same. Because of the frictional losses, the actual total pressure head, H is less than then the Ideal Pressure Head.
Any disagreement from you guys, or any other opinion.

If the convergent-divergent duct is inclined upward, what will happen?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the duct was inclined upwards the pressure head will increase at the upstream due to difference in height , but the total head loss will stay constant .
The flow will continue until the pressure head at upstream equals the elevation head at downstream thus velocity head will be zero and the fluid comes to rest.

Guys,

Following the quesrtion by neostalker, I would like to know what would happen if the flow is with compressible fluids ? What will be pressure loss in this case ?

johntyroger said:
Guys,

Following the quesrtion by neostalker, I would like to know what would happen if the flow is with compressible fluids ? What will be pressure loss in this case ?

Given the generality of your question, here is a good point to start reading:

http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/fluids/CDnozzle/cdinfo.html

CS

stewartcs said:
Given the generality of your question, here is a good point to start reading:

http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/fluids/CDnozzle/cdinfo.html

CS

Thanks for the response Stewart CS. The link was very helpful.

It was a very good start for me. In the case of the pressure relief valves, usually the convergent and divergent sections of the nozzle are perpendicular to each other. Is this angle between going to affect the behaviour of CD nozzle ?

Last edited:
johntyroger said:
Thanks for the response Stewart CS. The link was very helpful.

It was a very good start for me. In the case of the pressure relief valves, usually the convergent and divergent sections of the nozzle are perpendicular to each other. Is this angle between going to affect the behaviour of CD nozzle ?

With relief valves you'll have a coefficient of discharge from the manufacturer to account for the flow through the valve. The rule of thumb is 0.975 if I recall correctly (per ASME and API). However, the manufacturer should provide it to you. A good reference is API 520 and ASME BPV Code.

CS

1. What is flow through a convergent-divergent duct?

Flow through a convergent-divergent duct is a type of fluid flow that occurs in a duct with a varying cross-sectional area. This type of duct is often used in engineering applications, such as in jet engines, where the change in cross-sectional area can affect the velocity and pressure of the fluid.

2. How does a convergent-divergent duct work?

A convergent-divergent duct works by changing the cross-sectional area of the duct in order to control the flow of fluid. The convergent section of the duct narrows down the cross-sectional area, causing the fluid to increase in velocity. The divergent section then widens the cross-sectional area, decreasing the velocity and increasing the pressure of the fluid.

3. What is the purpose of a convergent-divergent duct?

The purpose of a convergent-divergent duct is to control the flow of fluid and increase its velocity and pressure. This is often used in engineering applications, such as in jet engines, to achieve high speeds and thrust.

4. What factors affect the performance of a convergent-divergent duct?

The performance of a convergent-divergent duct can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the duct, the fluid properties, and the operating conditions. A well-designed duct should take into account these factors to achieve optimal performance.

5. What are some real-world applications of convergent-divergent ducts?

Convergent-divergent ducts have a wide range of real-world applications, including in jet engines, rocket nozzles, and supersonic wind tunnels. They are also used in industrial processes, such as in gas turbines and oil pipelines, to control the flow of fluids and increase their velocity and pressure.