Register to reply

Flow through Convergent-Divergent Duct

by neostalker
Tags: convergentdivergent, duct, flow
Share this thread:
neostalker
Jun24-08, 02:05 PM
P: 2
Guys, i would like to ask some opinion from u all. About the convergent-divergent duct, it is horizontal flow and the water is incompressible.

So, based on Bernoulli's equations, elevation and density is the same. Because of the frictional losses, the actual total pressure head, H is less than then the Ideal Pressure Head.
Any disagreement from you guys, or any other opinion.

If the convergent-divergent duct is inclined upward, what will happen???
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Relena
Jun26-08, 01:38 PM
P: 53
If the duct was inclined upwards the pressure head will increase at the upstream due to difference in height , but the total head loss will stay constant .
The flow will continue until the pressure head at upstream equals the elevation head at downstream thus velocity head will be zero and the fluid comes to rest.
johntyroger
Nov4-08, 03:25 PM
Guys,

Following the quesrtion by neostalker, I would like to know what would happen if the flow is with compressible fluids ? What will be pressure loss in this case ?

stewartcs
Nov7-08, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Flow through Convergent-Divergent Duct

Quote Quote by johntyroger View Post
Guys,

Following the quesrtion by neostalker, I would like to know what would happen if the flow is with compressible fluids ? What will be pressure loss in this case ?
Given the generality of your question, here is a good point to start reading:

http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/fluids/...le/cdinfo.html

CS
johntyroger
Nov15-08, 06:21 PM
Quote Quote by stewartcs View Post
Given the generality of your question, here is a good point to start reading:

http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/fluids/...le/cdinfo.html

CS
Thanks for the response Stewart CS. The link was very helpful.

It was a very good start for me. In the case of the pressure relief valves, usually the convergent and divergent sections of the nozzle are perpendicular to each other. Is this angle between going to affect the behaviour of CD nozzle ?
stewartcs
Nov15-08, 08:32 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by johntyroger View Post
Thanks for the response Stewart CS. The link was very helpful.

It was a very good start for me. In the case of the pressure relief valves, usually the convergent and divergent sections of the nozzle are perpendicular to each other. Is this angle between going to affect the behaviour of CD nozzle ?
With relief valves you'll have a coefficient of discharge from the manufacturer to account for the flow through the valve. The rule of thumb is 0.975 if I recall correctly (per ASME and API). However, the manufacturer should provide it to you. A good reference is API 520 and ASME BPV Code.

CS

Register to reply