Register to reply

Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is the

by mathwizarddud
Tags: echelon, invertible, matrix, prove, reduced
Share this thread:
mathwizarddud
Jun30-08, 09:01 PM
P: 25
Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is the identity matrix.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
rock.freak667
Jun30-08, 09:30 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,206
Even though I was never taught linear algebra fully, to do this problem I would consider what would make the matrix A invertible and what would it mean if the RRE form wasn't the identity matrix.

But I am not sure if that would be a valid proof.
Defennder
Jul1-08, 12:08 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,616
This isn't too hard to prove. You can start by asking yourself what a row operation on a matrix translates to in matrix algebra. And what do the matrices corresponding to the row-operations amount to when they row-reduce A to I?

As for the "forward" conjecture, well I can think of something some might find objectionable. If it does not row-reduce A to I, it the RRE form has a row of zeros. That means that the determinant is 0 and hence it is not invertible. I'm sure there's a better way to do this.

Register to reply