System of equations and solving for an unknown

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of rearranging a matrix into row echelon form and finding solutions for different values of k. The speaker has tried different methods but is still confused by the presence of k in the resulting fractions. They also mention a friend who got a different solution and ask for help in understanding the concept. The responder suggests plugging in the values of k to determine if there is a unique solution and explains how k = 3 or k = -5 will result in either infinite solutions or no solutions. They also provide an example of how multiplying by k - 10 can lead to a consistent or inconsistent system for different values of k.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
I need help with this problem. I have tried everything and get different answers all the time. Given the three equations under, I'm supposed to find out for which value of k do we have

a) No soultion b) A unique solution c) Infinitely many solutions
Relevant Equations
My teacher has told me the following is true if the matrix is in row echelon form :

1. If there are one or more columns with no pivot-number, there are infinitely many solutions
2. If every column contains a pivot number, its a unique solution.
3. If every element in the row is zero, except for the argument column, there is no solution.
1610996235110.png

The first thing I do is making the argumented matrix:

1610996657602.png

Then I try to rearrange to make the row echelon form. But maybe that's what confusses me the most. I have tried different ways of doing it, for example changing the order of the equations. I always end up with ##k+number## expression in the second column in the third row that I try to make zero. I have tried to different ways to make the row echelon form now:

Rearrange R1 and R3:
1611007938748.png

Then taking -2R1+R2 and -R1+R3

1611008311448.png

The last thing I did was multiplying R3 with ##\frac{1}{k-10}## and afterwards took ##\frac{1}{21}##R2+R3:

1611011155216.png

From rule number 3 there must be no solution when k=-5 because then row 3 will be 0 - 0 - 0 - (8/105). And if k=3, the last row will be 0 - 0 - 0 - 0. From rule number one, there will be infinite many solutions.

2. If I use this calculator: Calculator, I get that the row echelon form is:

1611009195073.png

This is a very different matrix then what I calculated. But if I assume that this is the right answer and given the rules my teacher has taught me, there will be no solution when k=-5 because then the last row will be 0 - 0 - 0 - (2/3). And if k=3, the last row will be 0 - 0 - 0 - 0. From rule number one, there will be infinite many solutions.So with both row echelon forms of the matrix, I find the numbers -5 and 3. But I don't manage to find out for which k we have a unique solution. What confuses me even more are the fractions I get containing k in both examples. k=10 is not valid in example 1 and k=-1/2 is not valid in example 2. Why are these values different in both examples? A friend of me told me that she got 1/2 as the unique solution, but I don't see how. Thank you if you have taken the time reading everything. I really need some help with this one, because I have been stuck on this problem for three days now.

Likes Delta2 and docnet
Physics news on Phys.org
If you performed the matrix operations correctly, the two resulting echelon form matrices will represent the same system of equations. I believe your explanation regarding ##k=-5## and ##k=3## is correct.

Regarding ##k=-.5## and ##k=10##, you could try plugging them into the equations to see if there is indeed a unique solution for each :smile:

Likes Kolika28
docnet said:
If you performed the matrix operations correctly, the two resulting echelon form matrices will represent the same system of equations. I believe your explanation regarding ##k=-5## and ##k=3## is correct.

Regarding ##k=-.5## and ##k=10##, you could try plugging them into the equations to see if there is indeed a unique solution for each :smile:
So ##k=-0.5## and ##k=10## can still be a valid solution for k even though they make the denominator zero? And if ##k=-5## and ##k=3## gives no solution and infinite many solutions, does that mean that every other value will give a unique solution? Thank you so much for your reply by the way 🥰

Kolika28 said:
So ##k=-0.5## and ##k=10## can still be a valid solution for k even though they make the denominator zero? And if ##k=-5## and ##k=3## gives no solution and infinite many solutions, does that mean that every other value will give a unique solution? Thank you so much for your reply by the way 🥰

Yes, and you're welcome :smile:

• Love
Likes Kolika28
Kolika28 said:
So with both row echelon forms of the matrix, I find the numbers -5 and 3. But I don't manage to find out for which k we have a unique solution. What confuses me even more are the fractions I get containing k in both examples. k=10 is not valid in example 1 and k=-1/2 is not valid in example 2. Why are these values different in both examples?
k - 10 doesn't really enter into the decision.
If, instead of dividing by k - 10 as you did, you multiply row 2 by k - 10 and add it to 21 times row 3, you get this augmented matrix:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & k^2 + 2k - 15 &|&3k - 9 \end{bmatrix}$$

Pretty clearly, if k = 3 or k = -5, the first three entries in the bottom row are all 0. If k = 3, the entire row consists of 0 values, so there are an infinite number of solutions. If k = -5, the fourth entry in the bottom row is nonzero, so the system is inconsistent (no solutions). If k is any value other than 3 or -5, the system is consistent and there will be a unique solution of the system for each value of k.

• Love
Likes Kolika28
Mark44 said:
If, instead of dividing by k - 10 as you did, you multiply row 2 by k - 10 and add it to 21 times row 3, you get this augmented matrix:

This is a valid point. ##k## is treated as a constant while performing row operations. we can multiply any row of a matrix by a constant to give an equivalent matrix. For example, we multiply 3rd row of op's reduced echelon matrix

$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{(-k^2 + 2k - 15)}{21k-210} &|& \frac{k - 3}{7k-70} \end{bmatrix}$$

by ##-(21k-210)##, which is a constant, and turn it into

$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & k^2 + 2k - 15 &|& 9-3k \end{bmatrix}$$

• Love
Likes Kolika28 and Delta2
Mark44 said:
k - 10 doesn't really enter into the decision.
$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & k^2 + 2k - 15 &|&3k - 9 \end{bmatrix}$$

Pretty clearly, if k = 3 or k = -5, the first three entries in the bottom row are all 0. If k = 3, the entire row consists of 0 values, so there are an infinite number of solutions. If k = -5, the fourth entry in the bottom row is nonzero, so the system is inconsistent (no solutions). If k is any value other than 3 or -5, the system is consistent and there will be a unique solution of the system for each value of k.
Thank you so much! I never thought about multiplying row 2 by k - 10. That gives a lot of sense and make the matrix look a bit more "tidier". Appreciate your help! ♥

docnet said:
This is a valid point. ##k## is treated as a constant while performing row operations. we can multiply any row of a matrix by a constant to give an equivalent matrix. For example, we multiply 3rd row of op's reduced echelon matrix

$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{(-k^2 + 2k - 15)}{21k-210} &|& \frac{k - 3}{7k-70} \end{bmatrix}$$

by ##-(21k-210)##, which is a constant, and turn it into

$$\begin{bmatrix}1&10&-6&|&1 \\ 0&-20&k+12&|&3 \\ 0 & 0 & k^2 + 2k - 15 &|& 9-3k \end{bmatrix}$$
Thank you so much, that was a good explanation! 🥰

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain the same variables. These equations are considered to be connected because they share a common solution.

How do you solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations, you must find the values of the variables that make all of the equations true. This can be done by using techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

What is an unknown in a system of equations?

An unknown in a system of equations is a variable that has not been assigned a value. It is typically represented by a letter, such as x or y, and is the value that you are trying to solve for.

What is the difference between a consistent and an inconsistent system of equations?

A consistent system of equations has at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations. An inconsistent system of equations has no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This means that the equations are contradictory and cannot be solved.

Why is it important to check the solution to a system of equations?

It is important to check the solution to a system of equations because it ensures that the values you have found for the variables make all of the equations true. This helps to verify that your solution is correct and that there are no errors in your calculations.