Determining Uniqueness of Reduced Echelon Form

In summary, the reduced echelon form of a matrix is indeed unique. This is proven through the 4 properties that a reduced echelon matrix must satisfy. Starting with an invertible matrix always results in a unique reduced echelon form, while for left-invertible and right-invertible matrices, the pivot columns can be predicted before any row operations are performed. However, for the general case, it is still unclear how to prove the uniqueness of the reduced echelon form.
ELB27

Homework Statement

Is the reduced echelon form of a matrix unique? Justify your conclusion.
Namely, suppose that by performing some row operations (not necessarily following any algorithm) we end up with a reduced echelon matrix. Do we always end up with the same matrix, or can we get different ones? Note that we are only allowed to perform row operations, the “column operations”’ are forbidden.
Hint: What happens if you start with an invertible matrix? Also, are the pivots always in the same columns, or can it be different depending on what row operations you perform? If you can tell what the pivot columns are without reverting to row operations, then the positions of pivot columns do not depend on them.

2. Relevant definitions
A reduced echelon matrix satisfies the following 4 properties:
1. All zero rows (i.e. the rows with all entries equal 0), if any, are below all non-zero entries.
2. For any non-zero row its leading entry (aka pivot) is strictly to the right of the leading entry (pivot) in the previous row.
3. All pivot entries are equal 1;
4. All entries above the pivots are 0. (Note, that all entries below the pivots are also 0 because of the echelon form.)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I start with an invertible matrix, the reduced echelon form is always identity which is unique. If I start with only left-invertible matrix, every column will have a pivot (so I can tell before applying any row operations what the pivot columns are - all of them) and the reduced echelon form will be identity with possibly zero rows below it. If I start with a right invertible matrix, every row will have a pivot. Here I'm not sure that I can predict what the pivot columns are without any row operations to see which entries cancel (and this seems to depend on the algorithm used). I'm not sure how to approach the general case - it all seems very hand-wavy for me right now.

Any help/comments/suggestions on how to approach this are very welcome!

Well, I checked in Wikipedia that says that the reduced echelo form is indeed unique but does not provide a proof. I did find a proof via induction here but somehow it went above my head (I'm not very familiar with induction). Other than that, it seems like people generally assume it to be unique. I would like to prove it by myself though, that's why I asked. The problem maker seems to imply some method for proving it via his hint, I just can't figure out what it is.

What is the reduced echelon form (REF)?

The reduced echelon form (REF) is a special form of a matrix where all non-zero rows start with a leading 1 and the leading 1 in each row is located to the right of the leading 1 in the row above it. Additionally, all entries below the leading 1s are 0 and the leading 1s are the only non-zero entries in their respective columns.

Why is it important to determine the uniqueness of REF?

Determining the uniqueness of REF is important because it helps us determine whether a system of linear equations has a unique solution or not. If the REF is unique, then the system has a unique solution. If the REF is not unique, then the system has infinitely many solutions.

How do you determine the uniqueness of REF?

You can determine the uniqueness of REF by checking the number of leading 1s in the matrix. If there is a leading 1 in every row, then the REF is unique and the system has a unique solution. If there are any rows without a leading 1, then the REF is not unique and the system has infinitely many solutions.

Can a matrix have multiple reduced echelon forms?

No, a matrix can have only one reduced echelon form. This is because the process of reducing a matrix to its REF is a series of row operations that are unique and can only result in one specific form.

What are the applications of REF in real life?

The reduced echelon form has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It is used in solving systems of linear equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and performing matrix operations. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing.