Register to reply

Little blue thing on my keyboard

by ehrenfest
Tags: blue, keyboard, thing
Share this thread:
ehrenfest
Jul6-08, 12:59 PM
P: 1,996
Hello, I have a Dell D620 laptop and recently I have been having trouble with the input the tells the cursor where to go. I have the standard finger-pad that I use to move the cursor but there is also a little blue rubber thing between the "h" and the "g" on my keyboard that can also move the cursor. Recently, while I have been typing, when I press the keys close to the blue thing, it actually gives it enough vibration so the blue thing thinks I touched it and it moves the cursor away from where I am typing. This is really annoying because then the text starts showing up in the new location. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know how to turn the little blue thing off or make it less sensitive?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
DaleSpam
Jul6-08, 01:20 PM
Mentor
P: 16,947
I also have a D620. Go to the control panel and open up the mouse dialog box. There should be a tab for "Device Select". Select that tab and find the section called "Pointing Stick" and click on "Disable device"
ehrenfest
Jul6-08, 08:58 PM
Quote Quote by DaleSpam View Post
I also have a D620. Go to the control panel and open up the mouse dialog box. There should be a tab for "Device Select". Select that tab and find the section called "Pointing Stick" and click on "Disable device"
I found "Mouse" in the control panel but when I clicked on it the only tabs were "Buttons", "Pointers", "Pointer Options","Wheel", and "Hardware". The third and fifth of those looked promising but I played around with them and I couldn't find anything called "Device Select" or make any other progress. :(

Moonbear
Jul6-08, 09:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Little blue thing on my keyboard

Quote Quote by ehrenfest View Post
I found "Mouse" in the control panel but when I clicked on it the only tabs were "Buttons", "Pointers", "Pointer Options","Wheel", and "Hardware". The third and fifth of those looked promising but I played around with them and I couldn't find anything called "Device Select" or make any other progress. :(
Do you see the first tab that says Dell Touchpad Settings? It doesn't look like there's much to do on that tab, but if you click on the giant picture of a touchpad, you get another menu with a "device select" option (yes, it's about the least intuitive place to put that control).
robphy
Jul7-08, 12:06 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
If you are missing those tabs, you might have to reinstall the
ALPS driver [under Input Device drivers]:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&os=WW1&osl=EN
(I did this recently for my D620.)
ehrenfest
Jul7-08, 07:52 PM
Quote Quote by robphy View Post
If you are missing those tabs, you might have to reinstall the
ALPS driver [under Input Device drivers]:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&os=WW1&osl=EN
(I did this recently for my D620.)
Yup, that was the solution. I wonder how I managed to delete that though? When I installed it said I already had the latest version on my computer...weird. But thanks so much it is so nice being able to type a complete line now without having to reposition the cursor!
Moonbear
Jul7-08, 08:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Yup, that was the solution. I wonder how I managed to delete that though? When I installed it said I already had the latest version on my computer...weird. But thanks so much it is so nice being able to type a complete line now without having to reposition the cursor!
You may not have deleted it, it may have been corrupted when something else got installed. I have a lot of problems getting drivers to stay put on my Dell (different model) when I install new software (I've just gotten in the habit of not installing anything new unless I have the driver CDs with me). I don't know if it is because it's a Dell or because it's Windows.
ehrenfest
Jul7-08, 09:03 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
You may not have deleted it, it may have been corrupted when something else got installed. I have a lot of problems getting drivers to stay put on my Dell (different model) when I install new software (I've just gotten in the habit of not installing anything new unless I have the driver CDs with me). I don't know if it is because it's a Dell or because it's Windows.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does a "driver" mean in this computer science context? I know what a "drive" is, but this is apparently different.
robphy
Jul7-08, 09:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly does a "driver" mean in this computer science context? I know what a "drive" is, but this is apparently different.
"device driver"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver
ehrenfest
Jul7-08, 09:26 PM
Quote Quote by robphy View Post
Quote Quote by Wikipedia
A device driver, or software driver, is a computer program allowing higher-level computer programs to interact with a device.
Aha!

Register to reply