Strange change in behavior of home/F11 and end/F12 keys on Dell laptop

In summary, the behavior of the function keys on the top of the Dell laptop changed recently, and the default behavior was changed to F12 (without holding the Fn button down to select the alternate function).
berkeman
Mentor
The behavior of those two function keys at the top of my Dell Windows 10 laptop recently changed, and I'm trying to figure out how to change it back to normal. At the upper right of my keyboard there are these function keys with 2 functions apiece shown:

prtscr/F10 home/F11 end/F12 insert/FnLock

The default behavior for the home and end keys was as you would expect, letting me go straight to the top or bottom of web pages and some documents. But a week ago or so, the home button default behavior apparently changed to F12 (without holding the Fn button down to select the alternate function), which toggles the window to maximize or go back to normal. And pressing the end button toggles the display to HTML mode and back again when pressed a 2nd time.

Does anybody know why that would have happened? With some Google searching I was seeing something about that FnLock (Function Lock) feature and button, but pressing the button with or without the Fn button did not seem to change this home-end button behavior.

Thanks for any ideas...

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can probably toggle this behaviour by holding down the fn key and pressing esc. If the state resets after rebooting you may have to change a BIOS setting.

• Love
Likes berkeman
pbuk said:
You can probably toggle this behaviour by holding down the fn key and pressing esc. If the state resets after rebooting you may have to change a BIOS setting.
Hah! Thanks very much, that fixed it (at least for now). I was incorrectly thinking the little padlock under the "insert" key was the FnLock padlock, but you are correct, it is overloaded on the Esc key instead.

:smile:

berkeman said:
I was incorrectly thinking the little padlock under the "insert" key was the FnLock padlock
Nah, that'll be the NumLock padlock! I'm not sure when keyboard designers decided it would be more fun if we all had to guess these things.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What could be the possible reasons for the strange change in behavior of the home/F11 and end/F12 keys on my Dell laptop?

The most common reason for this issue is a software glitch or a driver malfunction. It could also be due to physical damage to the keys or a hardware problem with the keyboard.

2. Can I fix this issue by simply restarting my laptop?

Yes, restarting your laptop can sometimes resolve the issue if it is caused by a temporary software glitch. It is worth trying before trying any other troubleshooting methods.

3. How can I determine if the issue is caused by a software or a hardware problem?

You can try connecting an external keyboard to your laptop and see if the home/F11 and end/F12 keys work properly. If they do, then the issue is most likely with your laptop's keyboard. If the external keyboard also has the same problem, then it is a software issue.

4. Is there a way to reprogram the home/F11 and end/F12 keys if the issue is software-related?

Yes, you can try reinstalling the keyboard drivers or updating them to the latest version. You can also try resetting your laptop's keyboard settings to default. If none of these methods work, you may need to contact Dell customer support for further assistance.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

It is difficult to prevent this issue from occurring as it can be caused by various factors. However, you can try keeping your laptop's software and drivers up to date, and avoid any physical damage to the keys. In case the issue persists, it is advisable to get your laptop checked by a professional technician.