What is the best 100% free Anti-Virus?

by php111
Tags: 100%, antivirus, free
php111
Jul8-08, 09:50 AM
P: 53
Hey all,

What is the best Anti-Virus that is 100% free? The new AVG is a piece of crap. I get fake positives where as I know for sure my computer is clean. I have nod32 and I like it but it's not free and my trial is almost up. I have to find a free program that is good and no fake positives. Can anyone help me find one? Take care everyone.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
turbo
Jul8-08, 09:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Avast!
php111
Jul8-08, 09:54 AM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Avast!
Thank you for your reply. I will check it out now!

binzing
Jul8-08, 09:57 AM
P: 248

What is the best 100% free Anti-Virus?

I say AVG, but I've heard great stuff about both Avast and Avira as well.
Defennder
Jul8-08, 10:00 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,618
Quote Quote by php111 View Post
Hey all,

What is the best Anti-Virus that is 100% free? The new AVG is a piece of crap. I get fake positives where as I know for sure my computer is clean. I have nod32 and I like it but it's not free and my trial is almost up. I have to find a free program that is good and no fake positives. Can anyone help me find one? Take care everyone.
Is there an option to turn off heuristics? That would reduce the number of false positives.
php111
Jul8-08, 10:07 AM
Quote Quote by Defennder View Post
Is there an option to turn off heuristics? That would reduce the number of false positives.

I am not sure but is there? If there is, I would bet I go back to AVG. I miss 7.5 there was no false at all with that version. It became with 8.0 and 8.5 and so on.
Greg Bernhardt
Jul8-08, 10:12 AM
Admin
P: 8,537
AVG is still the best. I've had no problems with the new version.
binzing
Jul8-08, 10:12 AM
I know, they tried to make it look fancy and all it does is piss me off. I don't get any false positives, but I've got dialup so I'm naturally slightly less prone. Especially the updater makes me mad, where as on the last version it would just update when I got on the net.
php111
Jul8-08, 10:21 AM
Really? No false positives guys? nod32 scans my computer with no threats but AVG gives me threats.
php111
Jul8-08, 10:31 AM
Alright, I found something but NOT sure how to do it:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1134332AAEl2fO

The part I am not sure about is: You need to go to Tools > Advanced Settings, and then under Resident Shield go to Exceptions and add the path that ePSXe is in.

Where do I find the path? ePSXe? Never heard of it.
binzing
Jul8-08, 10:50 AM
If anything, a false positive is GOOD, cause its saying something that your other scanner can't.
turbo
Jul8-08, 11:01 AM
PF Gold
Be aware that if you use an AV program that quarantines suspicious files, it ignores the files that it has locked away, but other AV programs might "see" those suspicious files within the quarantine and give you a positive. In this case, you are not getting a false positive from the second scanner. It truly does "see" the string of suspicious code, but does not recognize that the first scanner has quarantined the file containing that code.
Mech_Engineer
Jul8-08, 11:20 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
I use AVG Free and like it just fine; it's worth way more than what I paid for it.
g33kski11z
Jul8-08, 02:32 PM
P: 93
I've used AVG for years, never had a problem...

.. side note, where I work I get McAfee for free but I still use AVG.
Crosson
Jul8-08, 03:00 PM
P: 1,294
There are no free anti-virus software packages. This is mostly due to two reasons:

1) Computer security evolves so quickly that any general scanner must have a constantly updated database of known threats.

2) The demand for anti-virus comes from users of MS Windows, who presumably do not care about software freedom.

Where do I find the path? ePSXe? Never heard of it.
ePSXe is an emulator for the original playstation game console.
binzing
Jul8-08, 03:03 PM
Ok....
turbo
Jul8-08, 03:05 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Crosson View Post
There are no free anti-virus software packages. This is mostly due to two reasons:

1) Computer security evolves so quickly that any general scanner must have a constantly updated database of known threats.
Avast! is free and the virus definitions are updated daily - much more responsive and up-to-date than Norton.
binzing
Jul8-08, 03:09 PM
Ha ha, yeah, I think Crosson didn't even bother to read the OP or any of the posts...

Register to reply