Clean , Quarantine or Delete Option in Anti Malware?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision-making process of anti-malware programs when detecting a potentially infected file, and the importance of user involvement in this decision. The conversation also includes a list of recommended anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, with a question about which programs are memory-resident and which need to be manually run. The conversation also mentions the use of Norton Total Security and references a Consumer Reports article on anti-virus programs.
rahulkhajuria
Anti Malware Delete Quarantine or Clean Option?
When a file suspected of being a malware or malware-infected is detected by the Anti-Malware , does the Anti Malware Program normally take the decision itself as to whether this file has to be cleaned , quarantined or deleted straightaway & only if it is really confused as to whether the file is malware or whether it is a system file or user file , ask the user what has to be done with the file ? Or is it that most Anti Malware Programs never take the decision themselves & always ask the user what to do ? Do Anti-Malware Programs differ greatly amongst themselves in this respect .

For a p.c. user like me who gets confused whenever this question is popped up by the anti malware program as to whether the file has to be deleted or put in quarantine ( Of course , if the "clean" option is also presented before me , I always try that first) , which type of anti malware would be best ? Are the chances of making wrong decisions greater if the anti malware is normally deciding by itself what to do or are they greater when the anti malware normally puts the decision on the user ?

From this Perspective ,if I have to create my own mini fool-proof (or atleast reasonably reliable) Security Suite by choosing one Program from the first Category & one (or if necessary 2 or even 3) Programs from the Second Category , how should I be going about the selection . Of Course , please note that excellent detection rate is also of paramount importance to me as a factor for deciding on anti-malware :

Category I - Antivirus

1) Avira (Free)
2) Avast (Free)
3) AVG (Free)

Category II - Only Spyware
1) SpyBot (Free)
2) Spyware Blaster (Free)
3) Spyware Terminator (Free)
4) AdAware (Free)
5) Malwarebytes (Free)
6) Threatfire (Free)

Also , in Category II , which are the Programs that are memory - resident & which have to be run manually ?

How does Norton Total Security behave in this respect ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For anti-virus see June 2011 issue of Consumer Reports. Avira and AVG can be set to run automatically on a regular schedule. AVG and Avast check e-mail.

For your second group, I have used 1,2,4,5 and I remain confused about what they do and of what value they are. I believe 2 is on all the time and the others have to be run manually.

1. What is the purpose of the "Clean" option in anti-malware software?

The "Clean" option in anti-malware software is used to remove or quarantine malicious files from a computer or network. This helps to prevent the malware from causing further damage or spreading to other devices.

2. How does the "Quarantine" option work in anti-malware programs?

The "Quarantine" option in anti-malware programs isolates suspicious files or programs from the rest of the system. This allows the user to review and potentially restore the file if it is determined to be safe, while still protecting the system from potential harm.

3. What happens when I choose the "Delete" option for a detected threat?

The "Delete" option permanently removes the detected threat from the system. This is recommended for known and confirmed malware, as it eliminates any chance of the threat causing harm to the system in the future.

4. Can I choose which option to use when a threat is detected?

Yes, most anti-malware software allows the user to select which action to take when a threat is detected. It is important to carefully consider the options and their potential consequences before making a decision.

5. Are there any risks associated with using the "Clean", "Quarantine", or "Delete" options?

While these options are designed to protect the system from malware, there is always a risk that legitimate files may be mistakenly identified as threats and removed. It is important to regularly back up important files and regularly update and scan with anti-malware software to minimize this risk.