Derivative of metric tensor with respect to itself

by jdstokes
Tags: derivative, metric, respect, tensor
jdstokes
Aug16-08, 10:22 PM
P: 527
Is there an identity for [latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}[/latex]? Note raised and lowered indices.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
jdstokes
Aug16-08, 11:54 PM
And it turns out there is!

[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) = \delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/latex]

[latex]\frac{\parital g^{\mu\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu} [/latex].
masudr
Aug18-08, 12:15 AM
P: 932
Neat! I'm going to transcribe your LaTeX with the partial deriv. signs put in ('cos my brain can't read it otherwise) and ask you about the final step:

[tex]
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} =
\frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) =
\delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial g^{\alpha\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu}
[/tex]

So, how did you get to the final step? I ran into (something probably stupid) a problem trying to bring to factor out the derivative term.

Hurkyl
Aug18-08, 12:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101

Derivative of metric tensor with respect to itself

I'm somewhat suspicious of this for two reasons.

1. The components of the metric tensor are not independent variables
2. I don't think it makes sense to ask for derivatives w.r.t. components of the metric tensor

Anyways, its probably better to start with

[tex]
\frac{\partial g_{ab}}{\partial g_{cd}} =
\frac{\partial (g_{ae} g_{bf} g^{ef})}{\partial g_{cd}}
[/tex]
jdstokes
Aug18-08, 01:12 AM
Quote Quote by masudr View Post
Neat! I'm going to transcribe your LaTeX with the partial deriv. signs put in ('cos my brain can't read it otherwise) and ask you about the final step:

[tex]
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} =
\frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) =
\delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial g^{\alpha\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}g^{\beta\nu} +
g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies
\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - g^{\lambda\mu}g^{\sigma\nu}
[/tex]

So, how did you get to the final step? I ran into (something probably stupid) a problem trying to bring to factor out the derivative term.
[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} (g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}) = \delta^\lambda_\alpha\delta^\sigma_\beta g^{\alpha\mu} g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sig ma}}g^{\beta\nu} + g_{\alpha\beta}g^{\alpha\mu}\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/latex]
[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu} + \delta^{\nu}_\alpha \frac{g^{\alpha\mu}}{g_{\lambda\sig ma}} + \delta^\mu_\beta\frac{\partial g^{\beta\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/latex]

[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu} + \frac{\partial g^{\nu\mu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} + \frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}}\implies[/latex]

[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = -g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu}[/latex]
jdstokes
Aug18-08, 01:18 AM
I was just reading D'Inverno and happened to stumble across exercise 11.3 which is to show that

[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = - \frac{1}{2}(g^{\mu\lambda}g^{\nu\sigma}+g^{\sigma\mu}g^{\lambda\nu})[/latex]

which is actually equivalent to the result

[latex]\frac{\partial g^{\mu\nu}}{\partial g_{\lambda\sigma}} = -g^{\lambda\mu} g^{\sigma\nu}[/latex]

because of symmetry of the metric tensor.

So it is correct after all.

Register to reply