Action of metric tensor on Levi-Civita symbol

In summary, in SR a metric tensor raises or lowers indices of a tensor, while in general relativity a covariant Levi-Civita tensor exists which is negative when the metric is negative.
Baela
We know that a metric tensor raises or lowers the indices of a tensor, for e.g. a Levi-Civita tensor. If we are in ##4D## spacetime, then
\begin{align}
g_{mn}\epsilon^{npqr}=\epsilon_{m}{}^{pqr}
\end{align}
where ##g_{mn}## is the metric and ##\epsilon^{npqr}## is the Levi-Civita tensor.

The Levi-Civita symbol, which we can denote by ##\varepsilon^{npqr}##, is not a tensor. It obeys the relation
\begin{align}
\varepsilon^{npqr}=\varepsilon_{npqr}.
\end{align}

What happens if the metric tensor is multiplied with the Levi-Civita symbol ##\varepsilon^{npqr}##?
\begin{align}
g_{mn}\varepsilon^{npqr}=\,?
\end{align}

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what's the relation between the epsilon symbol and -tensor?

Likes vanhees71
For a generic spacetime in GR, (2) is not correct. I think already in SR you have a minus there to rectify (2).

Baela said:
is not a tensor.
should be replaced by is a tensor. The four uppers are just replaced by four downers by being acted on with four gs.
Baela said:
What happens if the metric tensor is multiplied with the Levi-Civita symbol ?
Your Eq. (2). g just raises or lowers indices.
The LC tensor just depends on the order of the super or subscripts.
It is called an idempotent tensor because it has the same value in any system.
I am just talking about special relativity.

The components of the Levi-Civita tensor are
$$\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta},$$
where ##g=\mathrm{det}(\hat{g})## and ##\Delta^{0123}=1## and totally anti-symmetric under exchange of its arguments, i.e., the usual Levi-Civita symbol.

The covariant components of the Levi-Civta-tensor thus are
$$\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=-\sqrt{-g} \Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
This somewhat confusing extra sign comes from the fact that ##g<0##.

Also note that the convention of this sign is a matter of convention, i.e., it can be the opposite (e.g., in MTW). So you have to carefully check, which convention is used in any reference you read ;-).

Likes dextercioby

Likes vanhees71
Meir Achuz said:
Actually, you're talking about special relativity only for the specific case of a cartesian coordinate system. More general curvilinear systems (e.g., polar coordinates) require the full tensor machinery of the metric, its determinant and the Christoffel symbols, even in special relativity.

Likes vanhees71
That's why they are not usually used in SR.

In pseud-Cartesian (Lorentzian) coordinates then you have ##\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=\Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}## and ##\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=-\Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}##, because then ##-g=1##.

Meir Achuz said:
I'm not sure the thread in general is restricted to SR.

Meir Achuz said:
That's why they are not usually used in SR.
I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. Rindler coordinates are fairly commonly used, and they are non-inertial.

Likes vanhees71 and renormalize
In heavy-ion hydrodynamics often Milne coordinates are used, because they are convinient to describe "Bjorken flow" ;-).

usually

1. What is the action of the metric tensor on the Levi-Civita symbol?

The action of the metric tensor on the Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the Kronecker delta, is to contract its indices with the indices of the Levi-Civita symbol. This results in a scalar quantity.

2. How does the metric tensor affect the Levi-Civita symbol in a tensor equation?

The metric tensor can be used to raise or lower indices in a tensor equation. When the metric tensor is used to lower the indices of the Levi-Civita symbol, it becomes the Kronecker delta, which simplifies the equation.

3. Why is the Levi-Civita symbol useful in tensor calculus?

The Levi-Civita symbol is useful in tensor calculus because it is a completely antisymmetric tensor, meaning it changes sign under an interchange of any two indices. This property allows it to be used in various equations and identities, particularly in calculations involving cross products and determinants.

4. How is the Levi-Civita symbol related to the determinant of a matrix?

The Levi-Civita symbol is related to the determinant of a matrix through the formula det(A) = ε^i1i2...in A^1i1 A^2i2 ... A^nin, where A is an n x n matrix and ε^i1i2...in is the Levi-Civita symbol. This formula is used to calculate the determinant of a matrix using the cofactor expansion method.

5. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be used in any number of dimensions. It is defined as a completely antisymmetric tensor of rank n, where n is the number of dimensions. In three dimensions, it is commonly represented by the symbol ε^ijk, but in higher dimensions, it is represented by a larger number of indices.